A conversation with Christians who don’t like Christianity

LOGO

“Did God really say…?” The truth of God’s Word has been under attack from the very beginning. Those in the world who hate God have always done this. But in recent years the enemy has convinced a growing multitude of Christians (or people who believe they are Christians), to hate God as much as the world does, completely ignoring and twisting the Scriptures for their own fleshly gain.

These more “progressive” Christians are dividing the visible Church in ways we could never imagined a few decades ago. As part of my research, I follow a lot of their blogs and articles. And I can tell you that these days it is an all-out attack on the Bible and on God Himself.

Case in point, there is a group calling themselves “Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented,” an extremely progressive group that denies, well, everything about biblical Christianity. They describe themselves this way:

We are NOT a Right-Wing Fundamentalist Christianist Page. We are a Progressive, Liberal, Accepting, and Affirming (pro LGBT) Christian Page, just to be clear!

Recently, the group shared its statement of belief:

We Believe

We are an inclusive community of Christians who have found an approach to God primarily through the life and teachings of Jesus, the Christ – but recognize the faithfulness of other people who have other names for the way to God’s realm. We acknowledge that their ways are true for them, as our ways are true for us.

We have allowed the Christian religion to become a captive horde of Bible-worshiping, homophobic, fundamentalist bullies who have naive answers for all of life’s deepest ills. The true message of Jesus Christ has been hijacked by egocentric arrogance.

Therefore we believe that it is our duty and obligation to provide a safe place for those who disagree with the Religious Right / Fundamentalist Christians.

We are living outside the limitations of Christian conventionality because:

1. We question if there is a “Hell”

2. We don’t accept the idea that there is only one way to God

3. We understand that diversity is a strength, not a weakness

4. We accept Evolution

5. That the Bible isn’t inerrant

6. Homosexuality isn’t a sin

7. Owning a gun isn’t a God given right

8. America isn’t God’s chosen country

9. Non-Christians won’t burn for eternity

10. We consider everyone to be our brothers and sisters, not just those within the Christian faith.

When I asked this group on its Facebook page why, if they hold to different beliefs, do they call themselves Christians instead of something else (and I did ask nicely and sincerely), I received some nice and sincere answers back. These are very telling, and I share them so that you can understand the mindset of where the apostate Church is sincerely coming from:

Andrew: I disagree with you Amy, it is simply a question of how you read the bible; as a literal history book or as a compilation of parables that show us the nature of God and how He would have us live.

Crystal: because being Christian means being a follower of Christ. The bible is not Christ and he disputed much of the Old Testament.
The bible is a reference tool I personally don’t think it should be thought of as the end all be all to God. Too many inconsistencies and contradictories. I put more weight in the New Testament then anything. We cant keep putting limitations on God when the creator is infinite and our understanding is limited.

Julia: Um, where did you get your definition for “conventional Christianity?” Because I was raised by devout, moderate Christian parents in the late 1960s and would describe myself by the same terms — maybe half of your 10 statements would apply in any way and few are absolutes. Are you dealing in angry stereotypes and the vocal minority?

Shelley: @ Amy – Christianity has NEVER been of one mind on anything. Scripture itself references that in the Pauline epistles. Councils were called to hash out what would and would not be regarded as heresy, but there has never been absolute adherence to the official party line. As for the brand of Christianity you call “bible based” (it all is based on the Bible, the only question is how) that is actually a more modern construct that the original authors of the texts never intended. We progressive types can rightly call ourselves “Christian” because we base our lives on the call of Jesus to see Christ in and be Christ for all people. We can disagree on points of doctrine and still do that. In fact, we may be at our best when we have unity without infirmity. Good question!

Kellyann: Amen and amen.

Robin: This is who Jesus was, if he was the Christ, then Christianity should mirror his intentions, not the intentions of humans over 2000 years. Remember also not all the original texts are included in the modern Bible. Those that are included have been translated multiple times, from multiple languages, revised and edited by men. If people follow the Bible blindly, they are following the power plays of Henry VIII and James I.

Mike:  As I’ve said before,the bible does not have authority in itself, it does not speak for itself and it is not the one and only way to follow Christ! It is not the sole source of God’s revelation to humankind on what to believe and how to live! Just because one may belive in an evolution of some kind, does not in any way exclude or lessen God from still being the creator of us all either! Fundamentalist literalism is an enemy of true christian living that suffocates the indivdual who is called to always strive to live and love in and with the mind and person of Christ and what He taught for all of us, so that we have true life and have it abundantly!

Emy: Your page description brings to mind my grandmother’s favorite refrain: “Honey just pray for ’em and hope they get some sense.”
Ultimately, our best option.
You cannot reason with unreasonable people.
But you can pray for them.

And there you go. We are the unreasonable ones to be prayed for, by sincere people who are sincerely deceived. These are the people Christ Himself will say, “I never knew you.”

May we continue to pray for those who do not know Him. May we reach out to them with the truth of God’s Word; the Holy Spirit’s breathed-out Scripture, the only power we have that can open the spiritual eyes of the blind. Amen?

This entry was posted in Berean Research Articles, Progressive Christianity and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to A conversation with Christians who don’t like Christianity

1. S Loke says:

Amen, sister. It is surely a heartbreaking thing we are watching happening within the Christian church. Those who would call us 'haters' sadly do not know the tears we shed for our deceived brothers and sisters, and for those who will never know Christ Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. May God's grace fill your life as you continue to speak His truth in love.

2. Sharon W. says:

Can two walk together except they be agreed? Amos 3:3

Without concord no communion…without friendship no fellowship.
    Agreement w/ God is essential – requisite – necessary.

So, I would venture to guess, there are many, many people who profess to be Christian that are out of communion and/or fellowship with God because they are not in agreement with what has been transcribed, (written with words) and compiled in a book form called in todays vernacular…"the Bible"-"biblos"[the Greek word for book]. We all have a lot to learn of God, but a good place to start is to at least agree He is always 100% right…….sad to see what is happening to the church body.

My favorite verse…"In the beginning was the WORD….." John 1:1

3. Christian s. says:

Thank you for shedding the light on the minds of liberal Christians. I always wondered how any true Christian could consider themselves a liberal or progressive, and denounce anything that is associated with right wing fundamentalism. But now I see that ultimately, not only are their views wrong, but their beliefs are wrong as well.

4. Peggy says:

Who is the author of this article? What is your name? You didn't sign it. Just curious. Thanks for highlighting Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented. Good to know.

• Amy Spreeman says:

Peggy, that would be me. Welcome.

• Peggy says:

After reviewing the Page more, it looks to me like they are not rejecting Jesus Christ. They are rejecting 21st Century Christianity. I really took time to review the Page and saw the thread where you commented on. You didn't quote the complete "ThisWeBelieve" statement. It looks like this Page consists of more than just "Christians". There are followers there that have been hurt by the Church (or Christians), namely gays, Atheists, Agnostics, etc. They are also rejecting the Religious Right Christianity, not Jesus. I wonder if you took the proper time to investigate this Group prior to writing this article. I sure hope so because I would hate for this Website to misrepresent Christians and prove "Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented" to be correct in their claim. Gandhi once said "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians". I think that is what they are all about.

• Peggy says:

Actually, I will come clean. I am the Creator of CToBM. I can understand why you came away from the Page with the perspective that you did. However, to call us "Apostates" isn't completely correct. We love Jesus and all that he taught. We love all of you here too, even though we disagree. Yes, we can get harsh towards Christian Fundamentalists. It is more out of frustration than anything, and many have been rejected by Fundamentalists because of theological differences. It is high profile "Christians" like Bryan Fischer that give Christianity a bad name and is what we speak out against. Did you read "Our Posture" on the page as well? Many of our followers are LGBT. We embrace them and love them. Many are on the brink of suicide. Didn't Jesus hang out with those on the fringe? CToBM is a place to hang out with those on the fringe of the 21st Century church. A better "label" for us would have been "heretics". That label we embrace all the time. Please take a little more time and read the other comments on that thread. We are more about love than anything else. Isn't love what Christianity is all about? We speak peace over you and your website. We wish you no harm. We just hope that next time you will take a little more time to understand the subject of your writings. Blessings, Peggy (Here is the complete thread for your readers) http://www.facebook.com/christiansmisrepresented/

• Amy Spreeman says:

Hi Peggy, I have read the comments, and thank you for sharing our post there. Actually I've followed many threads there for the past several months, and I have to disagree that the comments there are loving. I completely understand the hurt and frustration toward Christians who have been hateful to those in your group. That's not what we are about here. We point to the Word of God as truth, and that truth is being attacked from within on a daily basis, which breaks my heart.

• Peggy says:

I'm commenting on your reply below since the "reply" was removed. It breaks our hearts that the Bible ("truth") is being used as a weapon and causing droves of people to reject Christianity. It also breaks our hearts that LGBT youth are killing themselves because Christians are telling them that God rejects them for who they are using Levit. to justify it, then going to Red Lobster and eating shellfish, getting divorces, etc. It just doesn't make sense. Our hearts are broken too, Amy. We can both be broken together, but for different reasons.

5. Florence Davis says:

Thank God He will do the judging & no matter how many of us try to usurp His Right!

6. Jenna says:

The problem with "fundamental Christianity" is that there's too much "cherry-picking", choosing to follow what you can agree to. That's why so many people are falling away from the church. Hypocrisy. For example, people can argue against homosexuality using Leviticus, but those same people deny following the verses that are surrounding those verses also. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the light, and no one comes to the Father except through me". Jesus' focused on not just the "regular joe", but helping the poor, the hungry, the underdog basically. However we have people claiming to be Christians who want to cut funding that helps the poor and the hungry, and that's not living the way Jesus did. Jesus also addressed his frustration with those Christians who are hypocrites. If you want to bring people back to the church, end the hypocrisy, and truly live the way Jesus did. Stop cherry-picking the bible. I am the child of a pastor, and I grew up in a Chrisitan home. It is not being deceived to interpret the bible differently than some of you do. I don't believe the bible is to be interpreted literally at ever verse. If you do, then live it yourself, and get back to me on how that works for you. There are things in the bible that if we did today, we'd rightly be thrown in to jail. There was a book that's out by Rachel Held Evans called "Biblical Womanhood". She lived out exactly how the bible literally tells us as women to live. It was not to mock the bible. It was to give us a glimpse into what it means to follow the bible literally. In this day and age, to do this, would be very difficult for most, unrealistic, honestly. The point here is that, in 2000 years, a lot of things have changed, and I don't believe that the bible is a "one size fits all" type of life manual. There's a lot of great things to take from it, but you need to be careful. Otherwise you alienate a lot of people. Again, this is why so many people are leaving the church, as I did. I unabashedly love Jesus Christ. I believe God is love, and there are just things in the bible that don't make sense. I lived for so many years as a "born again" Christian, and I constantly felt as though I failed to meet the "requirements" to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I lived in constant fear of burning in hell for my failure. I'm not a bad person. I don't live a bad life. I am simply imperfect. My feeling was, how can I be "saved" by Jesus, but then when I make human mistakes, still be saved? That's where the fear comes in. Then I spent a year re-reading the bible cover to cover for some new perspective, which I have done exactly 8 times in my life, and I am 34. It was a different experience this time.I started to realize so many things doing this. I felt like I had been the one deceived all of my life. I started to see the hypocrisy in the church, and realized that many aren't living the way Christ wants them to. I stopped going to church, started a small group, and worship at home. I do not believe I am going to hell for my interpretation of the bible. I feel sad for people who do believe that because I don't think they "get it". Agree to disagree with me, that's okay, but I can tell you that the love of Christ flows through me, and I am not going to condemn anyone, and tell them "well you are going to hell." That's just not right, and also, I just feel like it's God's place to judge, not mine. Matthew 7:1 says, "Judge and you to will be judged." I don't like being harshly judged. If the Christian Fundamentalists keep on the path they are on, they will keep pushing people away from the faith. That's why I hear so many people I've spoken with say they are more "spiritual than religious" or they have become progressive Christians. I think Progressive Christians follow Jesus in many ways better and even more so than those who are conservative for a long list of reasons. Using the bible to abuse people spiritually is wrong, and many many Conservatives do this, and don't understand how damaging it is spiritually to do this. I've been more happy, and more at peace than I have been in years. Not living in fear, loving the Lord, but doing it a little differently. Peace be with you all.

7. Michele says:

I'm a practical/progressive Christian andI interpret the Bible differently than you do. I understand that it was written by men, for men, it a totally different culture & time period – with their own set of challenges,. Was it divinely inspired? Yes – in parts. How do I determine which parts? It's easy. Because I believe thet God is love then it follows that it's the parts that are loving, compassionate, lift people up, are constructive, etc… However, it is also OURstory… the unfolding of the awareness & understanding of the people of that time & their relationship with the Divine. So, please stop saying that basically anyone that doesn't interpret as you do HATES God. And, please stop blaming the "enemy". Many of "us" believe that there is only one power GOD and as His children – created in that image & likeness – are too empowered to give our power over to some entity that's seen as a negative/evil force. Are there "bad" things that happen? Yes..by people. And, we often can't control those people or the situations. But, we can control what we do & say. So, why not make a choice to love your neighbor as Jesus commanded us to do? I don't remember his commandment having any "unless (they don't meet this criteria, act like this, etc..)…" You talk about the "enemy"… but, what would you call all the hurt & pain that's been caused & perpetuated by fundamentalists/conservatives against our LGBTQ brothers & sisters, who are also God's children – many of whom also love God but, essentially have been forced out of your churches by your intolerance, judgement, hate, etc…?

8. Sharon W. says:

I've noticed over time, It seems so easy for people to just use the word "LOVE" in these comment sections….like the path of least resistance…. Define the word "love" ?

• Mel says:

What is love? Baby, don't hurt me, baby don't hurt me, no more! Ok, I was being silly, but here is how God defines love:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
      New International Version (NIV)
      4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

• Mel says:

We call ourselves Christians because we try to form our lives after Christ. When the first followers we're being called Christians, this was actually meant as an insult. His follower took the word and embraced it. Something I did as a very young child. However, going up to the church, I became very broken hearted over much of what was being taught to me. I was not being taught to love without exception, as Jesus did. I was not being taught to keep my heart from judgment. I was not being taught how to care for the less fortunate. It wasnot until I was an adult, and read the Bible for myself. The Word of God told me that what I have been taughtwas wrong. That in order to truly call myself a Christian, I had to live and love like he did. So I view my job as a Christian, to first and foremost, love and be Gods love to the world. I believe my actions will be my testimony to the world. I do not believe that, how old I believe the world to be, or at what point a cell becomes a baby, or what clothing and fabric I choose to wear, if I eat shellfish, cut my hair, or have tattoos has anything to do with my ability to love Christ and be his love to others.

• Amy Spreeman says:

Thanks Mel, now I have that song stuck in my noggin.

• Mel says:

Lol Much obliged! 🙂

• Sharon W. says:

Thanks to Amy for even filling me in that the intro to your comment was from a song….sorry, but that part went over my head…it didn't ring a bell.

Let me add one……"God is Love" [1John 4:16]

• Mel says:

Exactly! God and Christ speak on love far more than they speak on hate and judging. In fact, God tells us that our job is not to judge. He implicitly help us that this is his job and his job alone. You know what I say to that? Awesome amen and hallelujah! in exchange for not having to judge I am free to love others, by being that love in the way that I speak, act and treat others.

• Mel says:

*implicitly tells

• Sharon W. says:

Yes Mel…God is the Judge. We don't judge -His Word does! And that is why I will continue to proclaim His Truth through His Word.

John 7:24… "Do not judge according to appearance, but "judge" [Greek-"krino"] with righteous judgment".

• Orangechipper says:

INterestingly. You will find more references to BEWARE of false teaching and watch out for wolves in sheeps clothing than you do about Unity.

So this notion that Jesus and the scriptures are so tolerant and are so accepting is very misleading.

I know this isn't exactly on point. But just thought we needed to bring the balance back into view. To pretend the Bible never delineates and accepts everything is not true.

• Mel says:

The "Bible" does not, however a Christian, following Christ, would love everyone. Loving and being completely Unified are different things. Similar, but different. Also, the "Bible" is not inherent. It is flawed and edited by man for men. They were over 30 Cannons the King James did not want in his Bible.

9. xississ says:

Word origins? Are you serious for real? Homosexuality is a sin against God, against nature, against civilization, against natural order and against God's creation. (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:27. 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:9-10)

• Michele says:

Yes, I am serious … Why? Do you think Jesus and the others quoted in the Bible spoke English…and, probably "the king's English", at that? Of course, there are origins… Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, & more… Are you not aware of that? Oh, and please don't converse through giving me scriptural verses. As well as being a "straight" woman, I'm also a minister and have spent most of my life studying both the Old & New Testament – as well as other wisdom teachings…

• Mel says:

You should watch Fish Out Of Water.

10. xississ says:

Yeah, God forbid we use scripture verses. I don't know what kind of "minister" you are but you're not a christian minister. I don't care how long you studied or how educated you are. You are out of order lady and know nothing of the Jesus Christ of the Bible.

• Michele says:

Since the idea of sharing your own thoughts & feelings, rather than reverting to simply quoting scriptures isn't agreeable to you, then I offer these:

Mark 12:31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
      Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you
      1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
      1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

And, lastly, because I'm much more interested in what you DO than what you BELIEVE (and don't care at all what you think of me – but, please keep your hate to yourself…)
      Matt 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

• Amy Spreeman says:

xississ, I'm going to ask you to please refrain from personal attacks. I have hidden a couple of statements from you (and thus replies from Michele) that I felt were over-the-top. Thanks for understanding.

11. Dave says:

I have to say Amy Spreeman, if Xississ and several of the others are 'representative' of what you believe a 'true Christian' is or should be, then I'm very sad for our world and for Christ. "They know not what they do". They are focusing on their personal hatreds and lack of understanding of 1 issue, homosexuality, and not taking the truth of Christ's words and Being. Michele is correct. If you study HISTORY, the actual texts in their original language, not just 21st century theology, then you would know the truth. It isn't a secret, no matter how hard fundamentalists try to bury it. I would venture to guess that neither you nor Xississ know that the words homosexuality and heterosexuality were not even invented until the mid 19th-Century, or that these words were only used in the bible beginning in the 1950s? That those 'translations' or usage were at the whim of the translators of that time, and really are not accurate? No, you probably don't because you've relied on the 'comfort' of being completely right in what you deem personally wrong. It isn't any wonder why so many are rejecting Christ. Thank God for places like CToBM that are shepherding them back to Christ and healing their wounds that, from what it looks like, your 'true Christians' have inflicted. Christ didn't do that. Your false beliefs in His true message did. The 'progressive' Christian movement is in no way a threat to 'fundamentalism' in anything but one way. Less money in the fundamentalist coffers. Progressives are interested in healing, helping and loving people, not building empires.

• Michele says:

Well said, Dave. I'm also grateful for CToBM for the comfort they're giving, as well as their example of being an "inclusive" group – as Jesus taught & modeled. And, I can't help but, remember that back in His time that there were people who were also more interested in the "letter of the law", than the "spirit of the law"…as seems to be the case of Amy & those who are in alignment with her "brand" of Christianity …

• Orangechipper says:

From Carm.org.

OF COURSE we didn't see the word Homosexual in the bible until the 1950's. Why? Because we rarely if ever used the word as a society.

In Each case, the Greek word used for 'homosexual' is ἀρσενοκοίτης, arsenokoites. Here is what it means according to Greek dictionaries:

•ἀρσενοκοίτης arsenokoítēs; gen. arsenokoítou, masc. noun, from ársēn (730), a male, and koítē (2845), a bed. A man who lies in bed with another male, a homosexual (1 Cor. 6:9; 1 Tim. 1:10 [cf. Lev. 18:22; Rom. 1:27]). Zodhiates, S. (2000). The complete word study dictionary : New Testament (electronic ed.). Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

So the ORIGINAL word means men and bed together. So you are trying to say that in a list of other debaucheries such as 1 cor. 6:9 lists that men and bed together is not referring to a sexual act but to two men fighting in bed?? STRANGE

• Amy Spreeman says:

Respectful conversation is allowed here. I did remove some comments. However I do not agree with you that CToBM is shepherding people back to Christ. Not the biblical Christ, anyway.

12. Michele says:

Amy, you're commenting on Dave's post – so, I'm not going to try to speak for him – but, for me it goes back to perspective & perception. The biblical Christ you speak of is apparently a different biblical Christ than the one "we" speak of (those who are practical, progressive, etc..). And, there are many who are renewing relationships and turning back to Christ – as we understand Him, his teachings & the examples He modeled, because of that group/page…and more. It may not be your understanding of what it means to be Christian but, if we all had the same understanding of the biblical Jesus there would be no need for there to be over 40,000 denominations. I understand (even though I don't agree) with where you're coming from – but, I don't think you need me/us to agree with you – or, vice-versa.

• Amy Spreeman says:

If only it were that simple, Michele.
      I would happily say "to each his own," if the stakes were not as enormous as they are. For those who believe that the Bible is truth, we know that how we spend our eternity depends upon our faith in the Gospel and in the fundamentals of the faith.

That said, how can any of us who truly and deeply care about you, Dave and others visiting here not contend for our faith in Him? How hateful would I have to be toward you not to try to keep you from harm?

I hope that helps you understand where we are coming from. Or where we need to be coming from, if our motives are where they should be.

By the way, you might enjoy knowing that I have something in common with many progressives in the CToBM: I was raised Unitarian Universalist. 🙂

• Orangechipper says:

There are not over 40,000 denominations. That is a myth perpetuated by the Catholic church that has ONE source. Sorry, Its just not true.

I think it boils down to this. What are you emphasizing? Of course Jesus hung out with sinners and we ALL are. But at the end of a confrontation he would almost always say… 'now go and sin no more'.

He always meets us AT our sin. But he doesn't embrace the sin or condone it. He loves us! He is a friend to sinners. Even pedophiles… Even bombers, etc. But that never means he condones the sin.

Just because Jesus hung out with the outcasts of his day in no way means he endorsed their lifestyles. Their seems to be a fundamental confusion between acceptance and endorsement. I accept my Uncle… but i don't embrace his decision to harm his body through smoking. I accept my niece… but I don't embrace her decision to have premarital sex.

Don't confuse the two. My issue with the homosexual movement is that they don't acknowledge it as a sin.

• Orangechipper says:

Just wanted to clarify. The 40,000 denomination # is VERY redundant.

According to the source: There are 245 Roman Catholic denominations. Sorry. Umm… just one.

According to the source: They include Southern Baptists as 3 because its in Canada, North America, and in another country. So they admit to counting same denomination several times.

I guess if you define Denomination as any group that disagrees… SURE. But lets be real here.

13. Michele says:

Amy – It's apparent that this is a "conversation" that is going nowhere – because no matter what is said you're still going to (collectively) hold to your beliefs, as we will ours. So, I bless you as you continue on your journey…I'm glad that it works for you… But, as I said before, in an earlier response – please don't be concerned with my salvation or how I'm going to spend eternity – I'm much more interested in taking care of people in this lifetime than in the hereafter… I'm here to be spent… And to Orangechipper: your comparison is no comparion. You can't compare making a choice to how someone is born…and, neither that or the # of denominations is a myth. Thinking that something is a myth, just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it a myth… And, with that – since we're circular in our conversation, which doesn't serve anyone – I will not be making anymore responses.

14. Peggy says:

When I meet Jesus face to face, I doubt He will say, "Daughter, did you get your theology right?". Nope. Instead, I'm pretty sure He will say, "Daughter, did you love my people?". I will error on the side of love any day. If God sends me to "hell" because I loved, then that is not the God I want to spend eternity with. I hope you have enjoyed this traffic to your article. Should be good for your stats on this site. Shaking the dust of my feet. Shalom.

15. Eliza says:

Many are deceived in these end times and have no idea of what it means to believe in Jesus Christ. It is sad indeed. http://holdingforthhisword.wordpress.com/2013/07/

16. Pat says:

While God loves us and ants the best for us and expects is to treat each other with love and respect, we are not free to choose which parts of his commandments we should keep or change. The reason we have the majority of the New Testament is because the Greeks and Romans were largely liberal and progressive thinkers who were constantly seeking to put their own spin on their new found religion. They ha yet to fully understand the authority and power of the apostles and Peter as the prophet, to guide the church in all spiritual and doctrinal matters. Those epistles were written to correct the mistakes the saints were making and reinforce sound doctrine. They even warned against those who would attempt to change the teachings of Christ to soothe their own conscience.

We all agree that Christ is loving and wishes for all mankind to be saved but he has set the bounds by which we may be saved as well. That way is marked by repentance, baptism, and remaining faithful to the commandments he has set forth. He clearly disapproved of anyone who would seek any other way to enter into the kingdom of God specifically comparing them to a thief.

When Christ was presented with the adulteress he rebuked her accusers by saying if any of them were without sin they could cast the first stone and very one left. He then turned to the woman and after explaining that he did not condem her he commanded her to go and sin no more. The way he dealt with her was compassionate and kind when he probably could have scolded her severely for her sin. Instead he comforted her but warned her that her actions were not acceptable. He did not condone her behavior and expected repentance. Nor did he condone the behavior of her accusers because he knew that they also had some repenting to do.

To be certain there have been some minor changes in the way God directs his children but the consequences of sin have always been the same in the end. We may choose to ignore the warnings as did Sodom and Gamorrah but we should not be surprised when our rebellion brings harsh judgment against us. The scriptures should serve as an example of many things including the consequences of following after the lusts of our own hearts rather than putting our will in line with that of the father.

The scriptures warns of the consequences of seeking after riches and not using them for good, just as it warns against lust, idolatry, fornication, drunkeness, anger, hate, and ALL ungodly things; asking from us in return for forgiveness of our sins obedience and repentance. The sacrifice of a broken (I.e. obedient) heart and a contrite spirit. We cannot have those if we constantly follow our pride about supposing to change the will of God because it suits our political and social opinions.

We do not have to abandon the principles of righteousness in order to love, cherish, serve, and support our brothers and sisters who are LGBT. We should love them as did the savior the adulteress and as he does all of us; but we should not compromise the condition of repentance from sin and transgression as expected by the same.