Tony Jones is sharing images of the rainbow communion bread he and his wife made to celebrate Sunday’s launch of Jay Bakker’s new Minneapolis site of Revolution Church. Bakker, who recently denied the substitutionary atonement for Jesus’ shed blood for our sins, delivered his inaugural sermon, “Vulgar Grace Throws the First Stone.”
Says Jones on the Patheos Blog today,
When he broke the bread last night, Jay told us to remember not just the broken body of Jesus, but also the broken bodies and spirits of many GLBT persons who have been persecuted for their non-heterosexuality.
(By the way, Tony Jones also denies the atonement Jesus made for our sins.) The famous emergent pastors, their wives and a few friends were then going to a prayer vigil in St. Paul to ask our Holy and righteous God’s blessings for the Minnesota Senate debate and vote on a bill opening marriage to same-gendered couples.
That vote was approved, and Minnesota becomes the 12th state to allow homosexual marriage. Same gendered couples will now legally be able to marry beginning August 1.
For Jones, the celebration doesn’t end there. He has just published an e-book essay, There Are Two Marriages: A Manifesto on Marriage in which he pleads for the church to get out of the marriage business.
- Can Jay Bakker Redeem Minnesota? (patheos.com)
- Jay Bakker’s Rainbow Bread “Communion” (juicyecumenism.com)
- Tony Jones: “I Think Your Atonement Might Be Wrong”
- Pro-Homosexual Pastor Jay Bakker to Start Church in Minneapolis (standupforthetruth.com)
- Minneapolis Bridge Lit Up Like Rainbow After Marriage Equality Passes (jalopnik.com)
- An update on Bakker’s book: Faith, Doubt … (steakandabible.com)