When a loved one says, “I’m gay”

SadnessI screamed, I ranted, I cried. I felt like I was bleeding deep inside, and there was no way to stop the gaping wound in my soul.”

What happens if a loved one very dear to you tells you he or she is homosexual? For a Bible-believing Christian, what is the biblical way to navigate this terrain? Those of you who carry this pain, How did you handle it? Our listeners have been sharing their emails and phone calls to us all week.

We are 100% Listener supported. Donate now!

Most Christians want to be a redemptive influence, but many wonder how to show Christ’s love without appearing to condone the behavior. Today we are sharing encouragement from Bible verses, advice and testimonies.  Why is this important? Because the Church is being targeted for change. There are those with an agenda who are now systematically infiltrating Bible-preaching churches with strategic ways to force the Bride of Christ to be “gay affirming.”

Just in the past 48 hours we’ve shared headlines that indicate the dominoes of this strategy are tumbling quickly: A Baptist University will offer Sex Reassignment Surgery. A North Carolina church vows to not perform any marriages until gay marriage is legal. Pastor Rob Bell now supports gay marriage. And news that the new Pope supported civil unions in Argentina.

But the good news is that we have Good News from Jesus Christ who came to pardon all of our sins, and that even the sin of homosexuality can be wiped away and washed clean by Christ’s atoning sacrifice! When we repent and believe on Him, Jesus gives us a 100-percent full pardon.  And that is the greatest love of all.

Helpful resources:

This entry was posted in Berean Examiner Blog, homosexual agenda, Podcast and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to When a loved one says, “I’m gay”

If we find ourselves getting angry over anothers unwise choices we see others make think on this. How can we be angry at others for not being as we think they should be when we ourselves cannot make ourselves as we aught to be. Romans 2:1-6 So repent. We are not working righteousness in us, it is Christ in us who does that, the Hope of Glory.

If we feel and exhibit pitty over the sin we see others living in we are cautioned take heed. Galatians 6:1-3 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

If we are broken over our own sin and the sin of others around us, you are fortunate though you may not see it that way. It is in this spirit of humility where we do have an effective witness calling all mankind everywhere to repent and be reconcilled to God through faith in Christ Jesus the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. For it is compassion for one anothers sinful condition that is compelling us to act. Such is the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:3-5 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

God bless

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

We need God to intervien we need Christ Jesus the Light of the world to act to grant them repentance. For you cannot see what you are blind to and a blind man cannot make himself see. Salvation is a miracle of God! Pray for all who are perishing: fervently!

Ephesians 2:1-10 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved 😉 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

If we are in Christ there is no more boasting only brokenness over our sin creating gratitude and love for Christ and compassion out of love for those who are yet walking according to the courses of this world.

Oh God has given us a good work to do! The ministry of reconcilliation!

Repent, Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added onto you. Work in us Lord God to this end for your Glory, for your Holy Name!

3. SuzanneT says:

I havn't heard the show yet, but just wanted to say that it was our sons' coming-out that became the catalyst which led to repentance and the regenerative work of the Spirit unto salvation in my own life, and also my husband's.

Amy – email me if you wish for more of the story.

Blessings ~
    SuzanneT

4. James Jewell Jr says:

I remember telling my mother 16 yrs ago that I was a homosexual. It broke her heart. She tried to push me away at first but in the end she came to love me for me and at the same time tell me I was in sin. I didn't agree with her and we had many discussions over the matter. She went home to Heaven in 2001. God used the passing of my parents to bring me to Him. After I gave my life to Christ in 2008, I went to their grave and asked forgiveness. It was only symbolic of running the family name through the mud. What is a blessing is my mom's best friend, who I call Mom, took her place and kept loving me for me. All the while continuing to confront my sin head on. God used her prayers to bring me to Him. She and "Dad" have become more than just my parents best friends. I use 1 Corinthians 5:9, Wherefore we labor whether present or absent that we may be accepted of Him. It is for His glory that we should strive but also to strive for a relationship with Him. No other man on earth can compare to a relationship with our Heavenly Father.

On a side note… In the Market with Janet Parshall had Steve & Kathy Gallagher from Pure Life Ministries on March 20th. Their ministry has been an accountability program for me. Also the next day, March 21st, Janet had Pastoral Counselors Joe Dallas and Nancy Heche on about their book "The Complete Christian Guide to Understanding Homosexuality: A Biblical and Compassionate Response to Same-Sex Attraction." Both had compassion in their voices for those still remaining in the bonds of homosexuality and it was great to hear how God is using them to reach those individuals.

5. SuzanneT says:

Thank you for sharing that, James, it is a great encouragement.

In my (our) son's case we sort of found out by "accident". He was 24. We were false convert parents, holding to a biblical worldview (at least one that suited us) yet not even plugged into, let alone attending any church. We sent our kids a to a private Christian school so they'd be "trained right".

By the time I found out about my son, although it definately was a shock (on many levels) I'd developed enough of a secular/psychological worldview that it didn't bother me so much, I figured maybe God had a special purpose and plan for those He'd made "different". I saw all the documentaries and felt for those people who sat there being interviewed as adults, saying they'd had these same sex attractions since childhood. I just figured our son was one who was "born that way". All I cared about was that he was happy.

Our son is a twin. God took hold of brother #2 earlier in life, well before their dad and I. In short- because I knew God had something to say about homosexualty I started reading the bible to find out more about my son's sin and lo, God showed me my own! He showed me His holiness against my own sin and I was born again. That was 7 years ago.

Our relationship with our son since has generally been very good, but over the past year or so is becoming more and more strained. He lives 7 hours away, steeped in a culture of "support". We seem to be fading in the distance as his past "un-supportive" family. We havn't pushed him, he's heard the Gospel, he knows we cannot agree with his choice to remain in rebelion.

As hard as it is we are constrained to the Truth. By God's grace we have learned to just love our son as Jesus loves. It has taken time to understand how to do this rightly. And also by His great and precious grace we have not, by our own deed and tongue ruined the relationship we do have with him (!)

We continue to pray that God will do for our son what He subsequently did for his dad and I.. save us from the way we were born-for we are ALL "born that way". (1Cor. 15:22)

Blessings on you, brother.

• Liss Askew says:

Suzanne, what a great perspective.."We are ALL "born that way"…I am gonna have to write a blog from that perspective. We ARE ALL born to be sinful. But God can restore us . What a marvelous opening for conversation when someone says they are just born that way.