Professor Makes Students “Stomp on Jesus”

jesusImagine this: A teacher has you write the name “Jesus” on a piece of paper, put it on the floor, and then instructs you to stomp on it.

Unbelievable, right? Well one college student refused to go along with the rest of his class, and got suspended for it. Of course the university says it did nothing wrong.

Todd Starns reports this today:

A Florida Atlantic University student said he was punished after he refused a professor’s directive to stomp on a piece of paper with the word “Jesus” written on it. The university, meanwhile, is defending the assignment as a lesson in debate.

“I’m not going to be sitting in a class having my religious rights desecrated,” student Ryan Rotela told television station WPEC. “I truly see this as I’m being punished.”

Rotela, who is a devout Mormon, said the instructor in his Intercultural Communications class told the students to write the name “Jesus” on a sheet of paper. Then, they were told to put the paper on the floor.

“He had us all stand up and he said ‘Stomp on it,’” Rotela said. “I picked up the paper from the floor and put it right back on the table.

instructorThe young college student told the instructor, Deandre Poole, that the assignment was insulting and offensive.

“I said to the professor, ‘With all due respect to your authority as a professor, I do not believe what you told us to do was appropriate,’” Rotela said. ‘I believe it was unprofessional and I was deeply offended by what you told me to do.’”

Rotela took his concerns to Poole’s supervisor – where he was promptly suspended from the class.

Poole did not return calls seeking comment. According to his university profile, he has a PhD from Howard University and is authoring a book titled, “Obamamania: The Rise of a Mythical Hero.”

A university spokesperson told they could not comment about Rotela’s case due to student privacy laws.

However, the university is defending the instructor’s assignment to stomp on the name of Jesus.

“As with any academic lesson, the exercise was meant to encourage students to view issues from many perspectives, in direct relation with the course objectives,” said Noemi Marin, the university’s director of the school of communication and multimedia studies.

“While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate,” Marin added.

The lesson on bashing the name of Christ is included in a textbook titled, “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition.”

Fox News obtained a synopsis of the lesson that got Rotela in trouble.

“Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

The university did not explain why students were only instructed to write the name of Jesus – and not the name of Mohammed or another religious figure.

Rotela said the idea of stomping on the name of Jesus was beyond his comprehension.

“Any time you stomp on something it shows you believe that it has no value,” he told the television station. “If you were to stomp on the word Jesus – it says the word has no value.”

This entry was posted in 2010 - 2015 Archives, Education and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Professor Makes Students “Stomp on Jesus”

1. Kirsten says:

What? We don't want students that can actually think for themselves! We want robots who when asked to jump off a cliff just jump. That's our education system for you! Homeschool, anyone?

2. Jay says:

Amen, sister!

3. Rose Vosburgh says:

Now let's just imagine for a moment it was the name Mohammed that the students were asked to step on. Can you just hear the loud uproar? Can you just see in your mind the murder and mayhem that would have resulted from that request?… if not here, surely in the Arab countries once this news story went viral…as it most certainly would have! Sadly, very few people will even hear of this outrageous class assignment and most of those who do hear of it won't even care or bat an eyelash. The students were being brain washed, plain and simple. I wonder how many of those who DID step on the paper might even claim to be Christians. Out of the entire class, only one student refused to do it and it was a Mormon, for crying out loud…someone who doesn't even understand who Jesus really is! Yet he had the courage to stand up and obey his conscience while the others just let the teacher lead them around by their noses. Sad commentary on the state of our nation and church today, isn't it?

• Affinity says:

agreed, agreed! you know this happens because there is no fear of God in the land and is greatly diminished in the church too. the people of the world see Mohamed. vis-a-vis vis allah with a sword in his hand. they see Jesus with soft long curls leading sheep. of course, they dont have a clue that the gentle and merciful Jesus with nail scarred hands is coming with a flaming sword and his clothes dipped in blood…that would unsettle the wicked if they had any clue what was around the corner.

• Rose Vosburgh says:

Amen and Amen! Low view of God and of His Son in the world today and sadly even in the Christian church.

• James Blunting says:

Lets imagine for a minute it was " Militant atheist" on the paper. These secularists hate muslims just as much, they even think they have the right to tell muslim women they can't where a religious headscarf on their head. I heard one on a website denigrate christ and mohammed even moreso, she called them "dirty" yet she thinks she is not racist… and she was a so called leftist. I wanted to punch her in the face, its sad when u hate some people so much as to devote all ur time to being a bigot on facebook… No normal posts from her…

It is indeed very sad and all the more reason to be on our knees not only for the students but for the instructors. What lies ahead for them would cause terror in them if they only had a glimps of it. If we would glimps it we would truly be desperate to urge souls to be reconcilled to God before it is too late.

shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. And they shall go forth , and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh. Isaiah 66:23-24

Proverbs 1:24-32 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

Fill us Almighty God with compassion for those who are perishing that none may pass through unwarned and unprayed for. God help us!

• Rose Vosburgh says:

Thank you, Mr. Davis, for the reminder to pray. We can sometimes get so caught up in our disgust of these things we hear going on today that we can get sidetracked from the most important thing…compassion for the lost souls involved. I needed that reminder today because sometimes l can get focused more on the offense than on the desperate state of the offender…when I was once one myself. Thank God someone prayed for me. I should not be lax…and I know I have been…in praying for those who stand opposed to everything I believe in and even mock what is holy. Prayer and Christian witness…Lord, help us to be faithful in these two as the days grow darker.

5. Hester says:

What I find shocking is that in that class there were no Christians. See the article reads that it was a Mormon who objected. Were are the Christians?

6. Redraider says:

Here is the key phrase, "symbols in culture". To these liberal loons, Jesus Christ may be just a "symbol". But they are violating their own teaching by refusing to consider that other people do not consider Jesus Christ to be just a symbol. As typical with liberals, compromising beliefs and principles is a one way street. People who don't believe like they do must compromise and believe like they do and NEVER the other way around.

I say, I'll step on Jesus Christ when you sincerely and in a deep heart felt way, worship Him as your Lord, God, and King and swear to ask Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins, repent from your sins, then commit your life to Him as your Lord, Savior, and Master. Let's see where THAT goes, ok? For some reason, they will refuse, just as this student did in complying with their shenanigans.

7. Redraider says:

I say, I’ll step on Jesus Christ when you sincerely and in a deep heart felt way, worship Him as your Lord, God, and King and swear to ask Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins, repent from your sins, then commit your life to Him as your Lord, Savior, and Master. Let’s see where THAT goes, ok? For some reason, I think they would refuse, just as this student did in complying with their shenanigans. But instead of being punished like this student, they will be praised for violating their own teachings. Hypocrites, every liberal is one.

8. J says:

Maybe there were no born again believers in the room and maybe the born again believers are smart not too take a class from this guy.

9. His Kids Too says:

What a sad testament that only ONE student objected to this ridiculous class assignment. It is a sad commentary on our society and our educational system that would deem this remotely appropriate. I agree with the writer that mentioned if the same lesson would have been conducted using the name of Mohammad, people would be up in arms, and probably international news. But the name of Jesus, and one person stands up for truth…what is wrong with our society??? I commend the one student, be it a Mormon that stood up for Jesus and refused to step on His name…may he now sue that university for their disregard for his right of religious freedom. And Professor, you will get your judgement..maybe not in this 'world', but you will bow before the throne of King Jesus, and make an account of your actions.

10. Ayerhead says:

2 Peter 2:1 says "But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction."

Dr. Poole appears to fit the description Paul gives in 2 Timothy 3 of the perilous times in the last days where men will be blasphemers, unholy, despisers of those that are good, and "ever learning and never able to come to a knowledge of the truth". Clearly the one in the classroom who is not of this kind, who knows the worth of Jesus' name and knows who Jesus Christ really is is the Mormon – the member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

11. John Anderson says:

Bigot Teachers that delegate teachings to any students should themselves be educated in right from wrong.. What a trash move by a obvious Bigot. Probably still feels oppressed from 300 years ago .. This guy is an idiot . What a piece of crap.. He looks like the male in a gay relationship.

12. Katelyn S says:

And why couldn't they write Obama? I would not even think for a second to stomp on my Savior's name. Now writing the teachers name on the bottom of my shoes wouldn't be a bad idea.