“Can’t find a church!”

Pernek, Holy Spirit church (1672)

We’ve talked about church shopping, church hopping, and the surge in the home church movement. These are trends that are impacting the church more in 2013 than at any other time. Why? Out-of-church Christian author Andrew Strom shares something we hear a lot at Stand Up For The Truth:

If it’s one thing I hear over and over from people, it is this. They literally look everywhere they can think of in their town, and cannot find a fellowship that seems in any way “right”. Many will heap blame on these people. But I am not one of them. What are you supposed to do when you go right around a town and cannot find good, sound, anointed teaching anywhere? What if you are left with a choice of hyper-grace, prosperity, dead formalism or anti-Charismatic “King James only”? Which one do you settle for?

For years I have been hearing this cry and it is only getting worse. There simply seems to be a “famine” of the true word of the Lord in many places. This is the overwhelming reason behind a lot of the “Out-of-church” Christian phenomenon – no doubt about it. We would love to hear your own experiences and comments on this topic, my friends. Below is a message that somebody sent me just this week on this very subject:

Tracy wrote:

“Hi Mr. Strom, I live in America.. Our churches (most of them are
in apostasy). My family & I always get hurt, persecuted because
of the calling on our lives and our stand for the truth… Each time
it hurts worse and worse, and we feel like we don’t even fit in
anywhere. It has caused our kids, who are now grown, to not
even want to go to church. Where we live now, we are currently
looking for a place to worship and almost all churches here only
have church on Sunday Morning.. No service Sunday Night or
Wednesday night.. We need fellowship with true believers.

We have been in churches that seem like CIRCUSES (apostle
movement) where the Pastor insisted he was my “father” and
I was his “spiritual daughter” – weird.. We left and he threatened
we would not be blessed or doors would not open because we
left “his covering”! We’ve been at churches where the pastor was
blind and followed the flesh instead of the Spirit.. Putting demon
possessed people over prayer teams, etc.. Etc.. We have had
enough.. Been hurt because of our stand for righteousness…
To the point we are fearful of even connecting with a church ??

I know these are the last days but I am so disheartened. Will you
please pray for us? Offer any advise of wisdom you may have.
America and our churches are backslidden and it is seriously
so sad.. Where are his true people?”

As I said, it would be easy to blame the people and call them “uncommitted” or ‘church hoppers’, etc. But the simple lack of GOD in so many fellowships today seems to be what is driving a lot of true believers away. How can they be blamed for leaving? Does anyone have the answer? How many others have similar tales to tell?

This entry was posted in 2010 - 2015 Archives, Hot Topics and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to “Can’t find a church!”

1. Sharon W. says:

I'm one of those "out-of-church/assembly" believers….same tale to tell, just different details… [Amos 8:11]
    I'm getting a real life lesson in learning to "trust God", plus a whole lot more.

One of the more trying things I have to deal with….the accusations (not understanding), from some of my fellow believers…(sigh!)

2. Larry says:

Honestly, I am finding that in an age of shallow discipleship trying to expect anything resembling Christian fellowship from most churches is like leaning on a pungi stick, it goes right through your hand. I know, I know,' ask not what your church can give to you, ask what you can do for your pastor', 'it will be one small step for me but one giant step for the meet and greet program.'

Hold on folks, The Lord will reward you with true godly character at the end of this journey. And while churches one after another fall into the abyss, you with unveiled face will behold the glory of The Lord.

Anyone remember that old white heart song 'desert rose'? I know its cheesy to harken back to 80's Christian rock but don't it seem like the good ole days.

Thanks for posting this guys, I will try to touch base with this ministry. God bless.

• Sharon W. says:

Thanks Larry for making mention of the song 'Desert Rose'. I did have to search it out on the internet though…..[a slight struggle to remember that many years back].
      It wasn't "cheesey" at all; rather, a real "comfort"!!!

• godsfingers says:

Nothing cheesy at all Larry I've been on a journey lately of "old" Christian music and I'd love to ring back "Seventy times Seven" or Petra's " Get on Your Knees and Fight Like a Man". I wrote about it, feel like a lot of the music today has lost it's power, though there still comes some songs to save the day., Matt Maher's "Amen (becase He lves)" and News Boys"We Believe".

3. J says:

Last Sunday I went to my old church that I have attended all my life. My wife wanted me to attend because my sister and her family were in town. I attended my former church and I still feel the same way. I left there knowing that I'm not suppose to attend there anymore. Sure I had people telling me they miss me but I didn't miss it.
    Is there something wrong with me when you don't miss your former church home?

4. Nicholas says:

All the churches are in apostasy because none of them want to allow Jesus true Lordship over them. It's only going to get worse. MUCH worse.

You can do church at home of course. And I suggest you start to study prophecy. Much has happened recently that declares we have precious little time left. Prophecy said the quakes would increase, the animals, birds, fish and insects would die, the preachers would become lukewarm, the people would stop reading the Bible, a craze for pleasure would dictate most lives, immorality would be the norm, our leaders would be very corrupt, unjust laws would be enforced, homosexuality would run rampant, disease, famine and strange weather would be the norm, signs would be seen in the Heavens, wars and rumors of wars, labor strikes, scoffers would be more prevalent, and the occult would be embraced by many, a new world order would be fashioned, atheism will increase and peace and safety will be preached on most pulpits, just to name a few. This is our world NOW! All of this was spoken first in God's Word and second in historic record! Need more info? Visit the site.

• Sharon W. says:

I agree that we have "precious little time left"….more so for America. Many signs… for those who have been given eyes to see & ears to hear.
      When time permits, I'm currently reading the book, "Shadows of the Beast" by Jacob Prasch. I find this book to be of great help in gaining knowledge, both scripturally & historically, of the Prophetic times we live in.

I had the priviledge of visiting 7 organized churches(?) in the last four years. The Lord sat me down in one of those churches for two years where He tried & tested me, put my gifts to work and revealed alot. Eight months ago, it was clear as a bell, that God's Spirit had prompted me to leave and like "J" mentioned above; I DON'T MISS IT.
      I study at home, pray and try & stay in contact with people…the church is people/body of Christ, but one of the saddest things and somewhat eerie- I'm finding out very, very few are interested in getting to know God and serve Him with sincerity of heart….Proverbs 8:17

5. Ronnie Cruz says:

America has drifted away from an "anointed" church. Because churches are looking for fame, money, and being trendy. We are "church hoppers", which is better than "bar hopper".. We are not looking for a perfect church but an ANOINTED one.

• Sharon says:

Thanks Ronnie for your comment. It was an answer to a recent prayer request of mine.

I have a dear friend who belongs to a church that I was once a member of and I left and I just can't return/ go back there. Her comment is always "There is no perfect church". I myself did not have an adequate reply. So, I prayed. God has supplied through your comment. The key word…ANOINTED! Quite frankly, I'm weary of the growing number of dead and worldly gathering places.

6. RD Strack says:

I totally agree with the posts above!! My daughter is 15. When she was talking about world events to her class in church the teachers dismissed her as if she didn't know what she was talking about!!! They don't want to accept that Jesus is coming back soon. I use to teach pre-teens and early teens in church during service. One night the Lord gave me a dream to teach the kiddos the nearness of time relative to His soon return. One of the teachers didn't want me to do that because she had other bible lessons she wanted them to learn. I suggested that they can take those home and study them over the weekend. When I was teaching the class, the head teacher didn't like it that I bought treats for the kids, and that I was good with them when she asked for my help and asked what could be done to make class more interesting for the kids. She's crabby at the kids as well and just takes the delight out of learning God's word. The kids do not like her class and miss my being there. I stopped teaching the class because of the drama she and the other assistant teacher kept going towards my efforts to help out??? What??? Really??? God's people??? I asked the Lord, "OK well You wanted me to talk to these children and now I have been rejected and removed from my assignment…what now?" This past weekend, both of them were absent and I was able to get in there and talk to them about the shortness of time and the iminent, and soon coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

There is a book I pray that you all read; it's called 'The Great Controversy' by Ellen G White. Over a hundred years ago, the Lord used her to show the world what was to come prior to His return. Before every major destruction and divine judgement call, God always sends a prophet for warning and she was the one for these last days of Earth's final history.

As we live and breathe, the pope is active in his movement for one world religion and we will soon see CHURCH and STATE unite as God has foretold in His word. Look at the protestants meeting and uniting on what once use to be common points of division based on sound biblical principles; now are points for union which is a dangerous and deceitful alliance. I don't need to point out the fact that the United States will change and ammend the constitution to further this purpose. Calamities of all kinds, heinous crimes against little children especially, human trafficking, injustice, racism, christian annihilation, ect., will only continue to increase as will outbreaks of natural disasters. The more world leaders scramble to try and solve the problems, the worse they get. The popular thought will be if all keep Sunday, then the problems of the world will cease…..not so!!! Forced religion on a day that God did not institute Himself, but rather man changed, is an abomination in direct assault to God's government. He has stated in His word that whoever takes away or adds to His word, so shall their names be smitten from the Lamb's Book of Life. Man does not have the power to change the 10 commandments. They are the reflection of God's character and He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. May we all continue in His service, as He is coming back, very, very soon!! You can visit amazingfacts.org for more in depth information. May the Holy Spirit guide you all in truth as you continue to study His word.

7. Jason says:

Hi I read with interest and feel saddened that I feel the same, I love god with all my heart, Jesus is my lord and saviour, yet what do you do when you don't like Edwardian music and auditory learners only sermons, Jesus preached with passion and Heart and about the problems of the day. I want to be empowered and convicted, encouraged and comforted when I attend to church, I want to see modern teaching techniques that's inclusive of everybody and most importantly I want to be led by a preacher who will not compromise the word and not afraid to say "you know what gang forget the sermon lets come together and get this problem prayed out". I have been to many churchs some with good modern music and good word and good meaning people, but it still feels like a Christian only club, these are the last days and the church should be changing the world with the power of Jesus name and that's what I want to be a part of, not a Sunday social group, hurry Jesus we need you.
    Jason of UK

8. Mat Green says:

Blow the trumpet in Darlington UK heralding the attention of hungry souls who yearn for sound grain in an age when 2Tim 4-3 sums up the stae of many churhes…..

9. Stacey says:

My family and I have been to so many churches now that I can't even count. We've walked out of numerous services. We've seen it all….pastors puffing themselves up, one church actually referred to getting baptized as "getting dunked" and there were women walking around showing there midriffs while the pastor wore thousands in diamond jewelry while asking the congregation to donate thousands to millions to his church and everyone is sipping on a Starbucks coffee, KJV only Baptists that told my 8 year old and my husband that they could say a special prayer and voila! (sinner's unbiblical prayer), forgiveness without repentance, hyper-grace, Cult tongue speaking (jibberish and "holy laughter"), my husband has had at least 5 different people tell him he was saved, one lady actually walked up to him, put her hand on his back and said "I declare you saved.", Another man sat right at our kitchen table as we were telling him that we don't agree with this lie and did the same exact thing, just in different words, and praise God, by this time, my husband wasn't saved but he knew enough to tell the man in full courage the truth of what he knew…"I don't feel saved b/c I'm not saved." They tried to rush him into baptism, without him even understanding what baptism meant (as at least three previous churches had tried to do), the Devil has gotten very sneaky and sent this very sweet old man (close to 90 at least) to butter me up to go to his church and I told him from the moment he asked "I am very picky and I know what I'm looking for and I wont go to just any old church." Sure enough we go and it seemed like a very nice church until the first thing I see is some woman hollering like a fool in jibberish and swirling her hands up and down in the air as if she were "sprinkling" the presence of God onto herself. I have witnessed true tongues and I know that what she was blabbing was not it. So I thought I'd be nice and give it one more chance and I didn't want to hurt the old man's feelings so the next time, my husband wasn't working, so he came with me. He was disgusted. We left and I had to tell the old man later (who I see every week) that I would not be back. He never did ask me why. The point is we are absolutely SICK and TIRED of the "church search". We are looking for THE CHURCH not A "church". If we have to sit at home and read our Bible's together and pray and discuss what we read together then so be it. It beats subjecting myself or my family to lies, heresies, and numerous blasphemies. It is sad, and I do cry sometimes though…b/c I feel like sometimes I need to talk to someone that understands where I am in my walk and my husband is not there yet. 😦 Sorry so long, but it feels good to let that out to others that understand where I am coming from. You just don't run into people that think like this anymore. And the sickest part about that is that just about everyone I interact with calls themselves "Christian", but as soon as you start delving into deep matters of God's Word they aren't interested and IMO they seem to hate me more than non-believers. Okay, I'm done. Thanks for taking the time to read. God bless.

• Guest says:

Our story's seem so similar. I totally understand even the point of trying to remain a light to a "not there yet" spouse.
      I just continue to praise and seek the Lord… trusting Him, because I know that He is the Cornerstone that ties us all (the True Body) together. The CHURCH is all around us and soon we will all come together in His courts with thanksgiving and praise. We are in the last days and we , the true believers are fulfilling biblical prophecy (Revelations… where it speaks of the church worshipping in secret) but it is only for a season. Its the separating of the sheep from the goats! Be strong and of good cheer… Jesus is coming soon!

10. lisa says:

I can't believe there are people out there who feel like I do. I'm trying to find a church too but where I live is like attending a circus. .. most of the churches in somerville ma have gay flags hanging outside calling all sinners to unite.. im really … really..sad. Im trying to get to know God.. I want to be able to save my family but I don't know which direction to turn. ..I can't stand this cult like mentality that most of these churcheshave adopted. Please can't we just stock together and make a church of our own.. im very scared

11. stan saas says:

moved here from NY and my wife and i were brought up in ASSEMBLYS OF GOD churches – been here since june – we have been to about 10 churches and just can`t find OUR CHURCH – assembly`s have really changed from the way they were and if i find one on the web it`stooo far – we are sure puzzled

12. Kitkat says:

I am glad I found this post. Our family can't find a home church either. We have went from church to church for about 15 years. When we try to settle in something major always happens where we have to leave. Sometimes it is doctrinal or sin of the Pastor, other times it is because they don't want our autistic children attending. Plus we are disabled and can't afford fancy clothes. We so long for true Christian fellowship. We must be close to the Lord's return and the one world religion and government. Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope and glorius returning of thee great God and our Savior Jesus Christ.

13. Bob says:

Recently attended an AOG church in Australia, where the Pastor babbled on like what seemed a roller coaster ride of conversation, hence it would peak at taking about the need for receiving the Holy spirit and tongues, so that was could, then he seemed to flatten out and waffle on about the great AOG/Hillsong movement, and what a great work they have done. Yeah OK. But it just did not seem to fit right and it was confusing because he seemed to have a bee in his bonnet because, one of the head leaders was copping neg press over the leaders farther, who had been a head pastor for many years, being a notorious pedophile.