“America needs the Ten Commandments” says Joseph Farah

Blank billboard at sunset

WND founder Joseph Farah has just launched a national billboard campaign featuring the moral law in Las Vegas. “The goal is two-fold,” Farah says. “I want to prick the consciences of believers and non-believers alike, and I want Americans to see the basis of all our laws as handed down by God at Mount Sinai in hopes they will repent of their sins and turn back to their Creator.”

Seeing a billboard of the 10 Commandments is going to help people repent of their sins?

Dear Joesph Farah: As much as I’d love to see the world repent of its sins and the culture become a great environment in which to raise my kids, I have to take issue with your methods. America needs the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, not the 10 Commandments. You want to change the culture and impact the world, only the Gospel can waken those who are dead in their sins to a hope in a life with Christ. You cannot just preach LAW-LAW-Cropped screenshot of Yul Brynner as Ramses fr...LAW-LAW-LAW without the Gospel to a world that does not know Him, because as it says in Ephesians, the world is blinded to truth and none of the Law will make sense. The Ten Commandments didn’t soften Ramses’ heart, and it won’t deliver the repentance you are looking for.

I doubt if he will hear me against the crescendo of “amens” coming from American Churchianity. Oh well. Here is his story from WND.com:

WASHINGTON – America has turned from God and has forgotten right from wrong, says WND founder Joseph Farah, who is announcing the launch of a dramatic new national billboard campaign featuring the Ten Commandments to help awaken believers and non-believers alike to “the wickedness and evil that abound in our country.”

The campaign kicks off this week with 11 major billboards – all in the heart of what some call “sin city,” Las Vegas. Farah is asking for contributions from those who recognize the Ten Commandments represent the glue that holds civilization together to take the campaign nationwide.

“The problem is America is not limited to atheists, agnostics, cults and non-believers,” says Farah. “In fact, the biggest problem America has is with those who call themselves believers but who act no differently than the worldliest individuals on the planet. You can call these people backslidden. You can call them false converts. Or you can call them undiscipled, nominal believers. What they all have in common is they are not in obedience to God. They are not even trying to follow the most basic moral law, as Jesus and the prophets all instructed.”

With that in mind, Farah is planning to erect hundreds of Ten Commandments billboards around the country in a move that is sure to annoy the American Civil Liberties Union and the organized atheists with the help of like-minded and like-spirited partners.

America has never needed a campaign like this so badly, he says.

“The Ten Commandments have been banished from our schools,” says Farah. “They’ve been banished from our courtrooms and law schools. They’ve even been banished from some of our churches and synagogues. Look what has become of America since. Maybe it’s time to roll them out on highways and byways, in big cities and small towns so no one is without excuse as to the moral code the One True God gave us to govern ourselves.”

Contact WND to help support the campaign to post the Ten Commandments throughout America.

Farah and WND are providing seed money to the effort for the launch and publicity and hopes that Jews and Christians alike, all worshipers of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, will donate money to the campaign to erect the messages on public billboards from coast to coast.

“I don’t know what the result will be,” says Farah. “But I know our country and our people badly need a reminder of who guides the universe and the affairs of men and what He requires of us all. Americans need awareness of their sins before they can repent of them. And until we repent of our sins, America’s fate has been cast to the wind. America needs the Ten Commandments.”

You can make a donation to this campaign online in the WND Superstore or write checks to WND with a notation “Ten Commandments campaign” and send them to WorldNetDaily.com, Inc., 2020 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 351, Washington, D.C. 20006.

If you’d like to learn how to sponsor a billboard in your community, email tencommandments@wnd.com.

This entry was posted in Berean Examiner Blog, Hot Topics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to “America needs the Ten Commandments” says Joseph Farah

1. Dan says:

Mr. Farah is right in this: even atheist recognize that God is the source of the Ten Commandments. He is also right all need to repent. Christians are called to walk in continuing repentance, a life of constant turning to the truth of God's word and doing it because as a Christian we are called to a higher law, the Law of Love. A Law that Fulfills all other commandments for Love does no harm to it's neighbor, therefore love fulfills the law. Romans 13:10 If you are wondering what that looks like take a peak at 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, Galatians 5:22-24. If you are like me you see immediately how far short of the Holy standard you fall. This is what drives me to the cross where mercy was made possible by Christ who shed His blood and died in order to redeem lost men, and then I call on Christ the Lord for His Grace: the power of the Holy Spirit to equip and strengthen us to walk in His Love and compassion so that we may glorify Him in our mortal bodies. We need to do this for we do not have the strength to overcome our own flesh. We are entirely dependent on God to work in us both to know and do His good perfect and pleasing will. Oh may that be true for all who name Christ.

What about the unbeliever, I don't know but I think it would be helpful to start out with someone who has had their heart already pricked. We should all be able to relate to this. We all once were haters of God, haters of His word before He made us His own. Is not this where compassion begins I was in your shoes, I too was carrying guilt and shame and I hated where it was coming from: God's word. But it was true, all true I have fallen short of the mark, the pure Glory of God and there is no way humanly speaking to fix this problem. God needs to act, I must call out for Him to save me because only He can and if I have a humble and contrite heart I will walk according to His ways regardless even if I am unsure if God has made me His own. A humble and contrite heart seeks to do what God requires. A prideful and rebellious heart will continue in disobedience and lawlessness.

Truly truly for man salvation is impossible but with God all things are possible.

If now we find we still hate His word whose are we? If we do not do what He commands is He our Lord or do we obey another and serve him? Hard questions which we need honest answers from others who are brave enough to tell us the truth.

2. Sharon W. says:

Occasionally. I Find myself saying, "You can take this woman out of her past uniform, but you can't take the uniform out of this woman." If there is one subject matter, that could stoke my ire, it's matters of the Law. Is there a Law that we as believers are called to follow? Yes….."The Law of Christ the Messiah" Galatians 6:2. The law of love…"A new command I give you: Love one another." John 13:34

NO, You will not get an "Amen" from me on these types of campaigns. It seems more often than not, way too many believers in Christ send a confusing message in regards to the Covenant made at Sinai and the New Covenant made at Zion…The mere conformity to the externals; a litany of rules, rituals, traditions of men, moral codes of conduct VS. The inner intent/meaning of the Law, the self-examination of heart & soul. The Apostle Paul warns us about peverting the Gospel Message by adding any form of "works of law". Galatians 1:8-10

More often than not, I see these types of campaigns as a "soft form" of "dominionism'…Like it's are job to change the whole world for God",….the world will behave just like world. The Law of God is Holy, but the law has no power to change us or save us….one of it's functions was to mirror our inward condition to lead us to the saving message of the Gospel. Henceforth, to maybe? be an instrument of God, by the agency of the Holy Spirit, to lead others to it. But if we don't really get the message, then what?

There is sooooo much too study and learn on this topic and say! Understanding the "Hebraic" thought, not just the Greek thought, may help some….. http://www.hebrew4christians.com/index.html

I'll end with this scripture verse- "Being manifested that you are a LETTER OF CHRIST, cared for by us, written not by ink, BUT WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD; NOT ON TABLETS OF STONE, BUT ON TABLETS OF HUMAN HEARTS." 2Corinthians 3:3

3. Joyce says:

I see no problem in what Mr. Farah is attempting to do. Who is he trying to reach….people that are still under the Law because they have not accepted the Grace and New Covenant give through Jesus Christ. As Dan said above, the Law was given to show us how short we fall of the Holiness and Perfection of God and our desperate need for a Savior to bridge that gap between us and God. Mr. Farah is presenting the Law to do the same.
    Are most people going to fall on their knees in repentance? Probably not. But if only one heart is pricked and it leads to repentance…is there not more joy in Heaven over the one who was lost and is now found.
    And if this causes the "nominal" Christian….the Chino (Christian In Name Only) to stop and think about what they profess and the life they are leading and they turn around….is there not more joy in Heaven over the one who was lost and is now found.
    We did not through out the Old Testament when we received the New. We look to it to see how utterly impossible it is to walk righteously before a Holy God on our own. The Old Testament…the Law points to Christ.
    To say we should never discuss the Law or the penalty of the Law because we have the New Covenant is to miss the point of scripture. And it presumes that no one is under the Law anymore. We forget that those who have not received Christ are still under the Law.
    What bothers me is the constant bashing of other Christians for making an attempt to reach others. It may not be the way you would do it. It might seem like foolishness to you. But I would rather see a billboard with the 10 Commandments than one with scantily clad young people peddling some worthless product.
    This constant mocking of other Christians…."ha, ha…look at that…that's so stupid…no one is going to pay attention to that"….it's got to stop.
    If there are doctrinal issues, let's discuss those. If someone is presenting a false gospel, let's address that.
    But this attitude that there's only one way to present Christ to people and any other way let's all point and laugh at…that's got to stop. We are suppose to lift each other up and encourage each other; not tear each other down because that's not the way we would do it.

• Amy Spreeman says:

NO one is tearing anyone down here, Joyce.

• Joyce says:

I'm sure that's probably not the intent Amy, but the "Dear Mr. Farah" statements kind of come across as "this is a stupid idea and it won't work". And to say that those who agree with what Mr. Farah is doing (all the Amens) are just practicing "churchianity"….I'm not seeing where that's lifting anyone up.
        I'm not trying to start an argument. Really I'm not. And I think the Church in America has certainly lost it's way in SOOOOOO many respects.
        Maybe trying to reach a country in desperate need of turning around isn't always done in the most elegant or blockbuster kind of ways (like Charleton Heston's Moses before Yul Brynner's Pharaoh "Let My People Go" kind of way), but at least some Christians are making a stand against a culture trying to erase God completely from the public.
        I'd rather light a candle than just continuing to scream at the darkness.

• Sharon W. says:

Dear Amy, After listening to your show, I hope that you didn't take my above comment as "push back". I am in agreement with the basis of your argument that you put forth in your article. [See my reply to Dan. Maybe it will help clarify my original comment]. My contention is with the sometimes confusing message that can be sent in regards to the two Covenants….the "Law of Moses", that is Torah and the Law of Christ. And, Yes, we do have religous groups trying to live under both Covenants. As with anything we endeavor, I believe our initial questions should be….What is the will of the Father? & Is it about pleasing Him?

We can be sincere in our efforts about many things, but we are all capable of being sincerely wrong in those efforts or not lined-up with what God desires. Keep on striving for the faith of the gospel Amy! Philippians 1:27

• Amy Spreeman says:

Thanks for the encouragement, Sharon! I agree, it is definitely a good idea to ask questions and continually strive to please Him. I fall short in both of those areas at times, I'm afraid.

• Sharon W. says:

I can ditto that Amy. The (we) includes me also!

• Amy Spreeman says:

Thank you, Sharon!!

4. Dan says:

Sharron, I think you miss Mr. Farah's heart in this. Merely stating the ten commandments is not a call to anything but I think in the inner man we are all pricked or at least we should be. For all fail even in the first command, for thou shalt have no other God's before me, for it implies we will do all His righteous decrees and we daily choose to not do this. People think they are actually righteous until they are confronted with the law and are honest with themselves about their own conduct. But we don't want to be honest and we love to listen to a culture that daily extols our human virtues rather than expose our utter depravity and abandonment of God's righteous ways.

The law of Love which you hold up is even more stringent than the ten and not easier to obey as you imply. For in the ten there is not a prohibition against harming your neighbor or merely standing by and not going to your neighbors aid when they need it. The law of love requires we act for their benefit as we have ability even if they are our enemies. That includes sharing the gospel of Christ Jesus with them for its proclamation alone is the power of God onto salvation of which all are desperately in need of. So it is, this higher law is stated in the beatitudes as the new standard of conduct for the believer by Christ Himself. Matthew 5:43-48, Luke 6:27-36. Remember who Christ died for, it was not His friends for none was His friend John 2:24-25, Genesis 6:5, 8:21, Psalm 58:3. That is right He died for the ungodly.

It is true that this burden of Christ is light for we were never intended to carry those things which are against love such as hatred, bitterness, envy and strife: see also Galatians 5:17-21. It is also true He really carries it with us and for us if we yoke ourselves to Him. But this means submission to God and His will alone and none do this of their own accord without the Spirit of God, The Holy Spirit working in and through us to this end. Thus Christ lies not when He states unless you are born again you shall not see the Kingdom of God.

I hope this does go National so that the ten commandments are everywhere. I hope a few proverbs get added in as well. Like proverbs 3:7, 8:36, 11:19, 14:12, 16:25, 21:2, 30:12. I think even if this does happen it will be the apostate church or cults which will gather men up and sooth men's hearts with comforting words and empty gospels filled with humanitarian works of self righteousness such that a man doesn't see he is still an enemy of the Cross of Christ and yet abides under God's wrath.

• Sharon W. says:

Dear Dan, I don't see where we disagree on the many truths that have been put forth on this comment page. Where we differ is the MEANS being used to put forth those truths.

The "essence" of the 10 Commandments is also "love". I just don't agree with the methodology of this campaign. I prefer any focus to be more on Jesus Christ/Christ Jesus.

A few years ago, I remember hearing a quote from whom I believe was Josh McDowell…..
      "RULES WITHOUT RELATIONSHIP IS REBELLION"….something to ponder?

I have no idea how many people will see those billboards as nothing more than a set of rules VS. those whose hearts may be pricked?

5. Dan says:

Proverbs 3:7, 8:36, 11:19, 14:12, 16:25, 21:2, 30:12

6. Gene says:

Greetings to everyone. As it would be, I am currently reading many books, one of which is on "being born again" by Gary Brady. He brings out points of interest that I think are relevant to this discussion. First, to present one of my own. I don't know what Joseph Farah has done to acquire his money. If it was not inherited then he took risks that very few are willing to take. He got out of the "employment" line and carved his own path and was rewarded financially for his risk and hard work. I am one of those who actually believe the entrepreneur built it. : ). So as I see it, on a percentage basis, he has done more than I can say I have. Right or wrong, he has taken a step and put his money where his mouth is, so to speak.

Thank you for humoring me on that point. To the actual billboard. I completely agree that the fruits of the spirit will draw people in or at least think "I want what they have." But, if they see complaining or arguing, they can get that at home or at work. So, we must always be aware of our words and actions. Brady starts the chapter leaving no room for confusion. "Next we consider various facets of the question of why new birth is necessary, namely biblical teaching on new birth, sin, God's character, how to please Him and the nature of heaven." I REALLY AM BUILDING ON A POINT.

I, like Brady, struggled through mathematics from first grade through college graduation. I found it completely irrelevant. Why did I, a business admin major, need to know geometry and calculus? What use is it? As the saying goes, "a fish is the last to discover water." Bringing these points home we must go further to the basics and ask "why is new birth or being born again relevant?" I am not posting this to sidetrack on conversion, regeneration, and sanctification. John 3:5-7 Jesus speaks to Nicodemus concerning this amongst many others.

All one needs to do to see the sinfullness of man is read the newspaper, watch TV period (I used to say the news but that seems tame compared to the shows that are on), and the very fact that people tune into those shows is evidence enough of the depravity. "There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins." Ecclesiastes 7:20. A man or woman can boast of the soup kitchen they volunteered in or the donation they made to a Christian charity. But God does not see as we do. He see's the heart and we tend to look at the outward. I know that when I have done good my first inclination is not to give God the glory but to think surely I will be rewarded.

In our human and fallen state, we are naturally hostile toward God. Our hearts are dark and willfully oppose God and His commands. The unrepentant heart does not understand or accept the ways of God. Fallen man, in that state, views God's ways as foolish. Romans 8:6-8 reads "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God." JC Ryle…"The man who denies the universal necessity of regeneration can know very little of the HEARTS CORRUPTION."

Brady goes on to explain the character of God. That God cannot look upon sin. The He is a holy and righteous God. He does not delight in evil. It is not hard to find God's wrath unleashed in the Old Testament. (Psalm 75:8)

While fallen man can do some good in the world, it is for nothing if he does not recognize his sin and repent. I have been reading a biography on Jonathon Edwards, touted as this nations brightest mind. All one needs to do is read the title of what is probably his most famous sermon, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God."

If we have no knoweldge of our sin and believe that because we are "good" people we will go to heaven, where does that leave us? Just as we cannot live on the moon due to lack of oxygen (realize that is very basic) shows we were made for a particular environment. Likewise, if we don't know what God detests, we cannot enter heaven and have a relationship with Him who cannot look upon sin. Heaven is a spiritual realm and thus requires a rebirth of the spirit.

Wrapping up and to a point. Little did I know the relevance of what I read tonight before seeing this. Brady sums up a point with this "The Ten Commandments make clear the sort of people He wants us to be but we have all "sinned and fall short of the glory of God"; "We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way." (Romans 3:23; Isaiah 53:6)

"Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?" (Amos 3:3) "For what do wickedness and righteousness have in common? or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial?"

As I said before, I unreservedly believe in the expression of love and outreach. But without the Ten Commandments I believe a non-believer or someone on the fence would naturally ask the question, "why should I? I am having fun and am not hurting anybody. Besides, if He is a God of love He won't turn me away. What type of God, if He exists and has the love you speak of, would want to see anyone go to hell. If He does then I don't want to have anything to do with Him." It is my personal belief that many churches, I could speculate why but won't, don't preach on sin and the reality of hell. That does not serve anyone. I agree with Mr. Farah. Hopefully his billboards will prick someone's heart. Maybe an affair has been avoided. Who knows? I know that I can save no one. God is in control of that. I can plant a seed if it His will. As far as the Dear Mr. Farah above…you state that what America needs is the Gospel. I totally agree. BUT, WHY DO THEY NEED THE GOSPEL? BECAUSE OF OUR INABILITY TO FOLLOW THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. You state that people won't understand the law because they are dead in their sins. How do they know that without the law. We can't preach the law without the Gospel. Again, I agree on the surface. But without the law, there is not a need for the Gospel. A billboard is only so big. Suggestion for myself included, if I disagree with the way someone spends their money in an effort to win souls, go out and earn my own money and do it my way. Thank you for humoring me and many thanks to author Gary Brady for his knowledge and book.

7. nancy emmi says:

I love u for doing this! Thank you. I fear for our country and where it is going because God is rebuked from so many aspects. Lets keep praying and speaking out for God and His Word.

8. This is exactly why more and simply more companies
    happen to be starting to stop workplace romances. Cesspools may have parts that can is seen on the earth.

9. road running says:

Wow, amazing blog format! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?
    you made running a blog look easy. The overall glance of your
    site is great, as smartly as the content!

10. Fine way of describing, and pleasant piece of writing to take
    data concerning my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in institution
    of higher education.