The War on Christmas is the Wrong War!

Happy Holidays 2009

Christians, why do we care which companies say “Merry Christmas,” and which don’t? Are we supposed to be fighting the “War on Christmas” with our wallets?  As Focus on the Family has done in the past, the American Family Association  recently issued its annual Naughty and Nice list of national retailers who do and do not say the C-word. And you’re going to hear about Christians getting bent out of shape over those who say “Happy Holidays” instead.

I’m not at all suggesting that Christians should be silenced by their government or employer for openly celebrating the birth of our Savior–that’s wrong.  But at the retail level, the bigger problem isn’t the war on Christmas, but the war unbelievers have against God. Why do we expect pagans to act like the Church? And why aren’t we taking every opportunity to show them who Jesus is and why He came?

And yet here we are, praising companies who say Merry Christmas, knowing full well that this marketing ploy carries some sort of clout, or there wouldn’t be the Naughty or Nice list in the first place. So let’s do a quick 10-minute Google search on whom we are lifting up on that AFA “Nice” side of the list, for “regularly promoting and celebrating Christmas on an exceptional basis.” Check out these headlines:

And these are the nice guys.  So we honor with our Christmas cash those secular retailers who say “Merry Christmas” at the cash register, but accuse other secular retailers of taking Christ out of Christmas by saying “Happy Holidays.”  How helpful is that?   Answer: It isn’t.

Radio hosts Chris Rosebrough and Brannon Howse put it rather well on a recent Worldview Weekend discussion:

How many people are going to enter hell for not saying “Merry Christmas”? None! How many will go to hell because they embraced a false Jesus and a false gospel proclaimed by false teachers? The answer is millions and millions. The “war on Christmas” by unbelievers should not be our ultimate concern compared to the war on the Biblical gospel and the Biblical Jesus by modern-day evangelicalism.

Which is more harmful: hearing Happy Holidays from a store clerk, or hearing false doctrine that takes Christ out of Christianity? Why don’t we hear a shrill outcry against that?  Maybe we ought to have a “naughty and nice” list for churches that celebrate and promote false teachings and blatant heresy.

This entry was posted in 2010 - 2015 Archives, Featured and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The War on Christmas is the Wrong War!

1. David says:

Either way it's taking Christ out of Christianity in both cases. It's just another battle in the war. I would much rather hear Merry Christmas than happy holidays.

2. Kim says:

MERRY…CHRISTMAS…TO …EVERYONE.
    Joy to the world ……
    Hark the Hearald Angels sing……
    Silent night holy night ….

I have to agree whole heartedly with your sentiment here Amy, its a distraction from the real task of sharing the Gospel and making disciples of all nations. The culture isn't the problem sin is, followed by unrepentance.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

It seems we have forgotten a simple yet profound principle.

For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. 1 Peter 4:6 (we too we once dead, and hated God and His light and the washing that comes by His pure word and the quickening that comes by the Holy Spirit)

For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. 1 Cor 5:12-13

Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 1 Peter 4:16-18

If our messege isn't hated is it from God?

Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. John 15:20-25

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. John 14:15-17

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

God bless,

Dan

4. AJ says:

Having been born and raised in a liberal European country that did not have a gift-giving Christmas tradition, it seems to me that the 'war against Christmas' (i.e. the celebration of Jesus as our Lord and Savior) takes place more inside than outside the church.

Although initially I assumed that my cultural background caused me to believe that the focus of Christmas is on gifts, food, family, and more gifts – and worshiping God awkwardly inserted as an afterthought – I eventually had to admit that my initial assessment was probably accurate.

When I grew up people tended to go to church on Christmas day – Protestants and Roman Catholics alike. I quickly found that not only it is virtually impossible to find a (Protestant) church that worships on Sunday morning, Sunday services are often cancelled if Christmas dares fall on a Sunday…

5. Darrel says:

Since the celebration of Christmas is rooted in the Roman "church" who integrated pagan worship, pagan gods, pagan symbolism, etc. into the "holiday" why is it that a person who names the Name of Christ wants to participate in something that is wholly pagan, ungodly, and does in no way honor the Lord Jesus Christ?

6. Annette says:

The New Testament congregations or assemblies never met to honor man's tradition of Christmas. This tradition is not celebrated by the followers of Jesus Christ and God, the Holy Spirit who always testifies to the teachings of Jesus as well, has never commanded us to celebrate christmas. So we, as true followers of Jesus do not need to get worked up about a pagan tradition that was never in the Word in the first place. We are to honor Jesus daily and what He has done for us on that tree at Calvary, a life of self denial.

I figure if the church system of man has lied to us about christmas…..what else has it lied about and for what reason?

7. David says:

So I'm assuming you have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas then, right Annette?

• Ann says:

Greetings David,

Are we commanded to celebrate christmas David? What would you say to a person who does not celebrate christmas, would you persecute them with your thoughts, with your words, or perhaps even actions?
      If God reveals truth to us, how then shall we live….or try to live.

In direct answer to your question…No. I do not honor or celebrate christmas because I do not have too, and yet I cannot condemn the world because that's the job of God, not a sinner like me. The German philosopher, Friedrick Nietzsche once said, "If you speak a lie long enough, people will eventually believe it." It worked for the ThirdRiche and it has worked for the religious institution of man as well….interesting plan. But what does the Bible reveal about adding to or taking away from the Word of God Darrel? Check out the last book of Revelation as it reveals what He said. Can we not honor Jesus in Spirit and in Truth every single day of our lives, or just on December 25th. We are in the world, but not of the world, and yes Darrel, I will admit to you that I do use the paper/fabric printed in green chalked full of occultic mason symbology to purchase my goods and services as I am in this world.

I appreciate your question. In like mind, do you celebrate Easter/Ishtar?

8. David says:

Well first off, it's David, not Darrel, you had it right at first, not sure what happened there. You are doing an awful lot of assuming here, and you know what they say when you assume. I persecute nobody, but thanks for assuming that I do. You're right, you don't have to celebrate the Lord's birth. It may have started out as something pagan or what have you, but what part of God can turn anything made for evil into good don't you get? You are right, we are not commanded to celebrate Him on this day, but I choose to glorify Him with it, not any pagan god. And now for your next assumption, that I need to be judged for it apparently, even though you're trying to say it's not your place to judge. And as a matter of fact, you are wrong in that. We are to judge our brothers and sisters in Christ so they don't fall in sin or keep sinning. Not sure why you make the assumption that I only honor God on Christmas day. I honor Him every single day of the year, I pray to Him every single day of the year!

As for Easter, yes, I celebrate the resurrection of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

• Ann says:

Hello David,

Again I will repeat, "Does it offend when people do not celebrate christmas. Do those that chose to have this time of year as and idol in their heart and in their outward man, persecute with their thought, with their words, or with murder in their hearts if people choose not to honor it?" Search your own heart, ask your family, and your friends….the results may be a surprise. I have experienced the hatred from those who profess to be "born again" when I do not acknowledge their ways.

As I study the the phenomenon of Nazi Germany, I am surprised at many of the simularities amongst their churches and the churches in our country….and the results are staggering. No longer do we hear of Christ, and Him crucified, but a conglomerate of psyo-babble tooped off with whipped cream narcissism to produce a whole system of sugary nothing…..therefore the people are not brought to a place of acknowledging our own sins before our Righteous LORD and Savior, repenting, and changing one's mind and turning away. When our churches look like the world, live like the world, then they are of the world. But there are many called out ones who do honor GOD and His Word and I meet them everywhere…..for the true Body of Christ has no walls built with human hands. What a joy and an encouragement to me, that there are many who love Jesus in Spirit and Truth across this world that are living for Him. We are not perfect vessels by any means and I am comforted every day knowing that God is in control of everything, even though I hear such hatred and bitter whining and constant complaining about President Obama getting re-elected, from those who profess to know Christ. Perhaps, David, the United States of America is a country in need of hearing the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ more that any other nation.

I often wonder, if Jesus returned, would the religious system of man invite Him in to preach to us….or would He stir us to such anger and strife, that we would crucify Him all over again. I know what we would do.

I am sorry I called you by another name, it was not intentional. May our Lord Jesus Christ….the one from our Holy Scriptures, be with you and your family.
      It has been a pleasure.

Ann

9. David says:

You didn't respond to a single thing that I said. I'm not even sure about your first paragraph, didn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure if you're telling me that I have murder in my heart or what, maybe you can clarify what you're trying to say.

Yes, a lot of churches are like that in America, but not just in America, all around the world. Maybe though you just haven't found a decent church yet that does teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I assure you that I have.

I'm sure the religious system would get angry at Jesus because He speaks nothing but truth, which is why I'm awfully glad I'm not religious, I'm a Christian. Big difference there.

What exactly is wrong with complaining about Obama? Are you saying we should be happy that he constantly lies just to get in office? Everything he says during his campaigns, he does the exact opposite once he gets in office. So please tell us all since you seem to have all the answers, what shall we do other that complain?? You can call it whining all you want, I call it exposing the truth.

• Ann says:

Did not Jesus say that His ways are not our ways?

And yes, exposing the truth does indeed show us that christmas was not honored, celebrated, or worshipped in the New Testament congregations and assemblies. It was not a yearly celebration and we, as followers of Jesus Christ are not commanded to engage in it. I am not sinning and have done nothing wrong pertaining to exposeing the truth. And yes indeed, the relgious system of man can honor and celebrate anything they want, even the birthdate of the George Washington or Abraham Lincoln or the 4th of July in their edifices and call it "of God." God is not deceived by men, he knows every heart.

Following the Word of God does create dissension in the hearts of man. Is it possible our LORD is calling a people out of that religious system of man to share His Gospel, allowing His Holy Spirit to change the hearts and minds of man? Praise the name of Jesus….Yes!

10. David says:

Honestly all you're doing is avoiding answering any of my questions or responding to anything I say. I already said I agree with you that it's not in the Bible, obviously, and that it actually did start out as a pagan holiday, I'm not arguing that point. I really think you're just being a legalist and trying too hard at it. Just because a lot of people may celebrate the holidays you listed and call it "of God" as you say, which I also agree with you on that, doesn't mean everybody does, and it certainly doesn't mean we should stop celebrating them. Since you said nothing of it the first time I mentioned it, I'll say it again. Do you not believe that God can use anything meant for evil and turn it into good??

• Ann says:

Greetings David,

I have been called a legalist before, and actually have been cursed at using words that I cannot repeat, and have been ridiculed and mocked (some would call all of this "hate speech") by those who profess to be followers of Jesus Christ. There is a popular saying in the religious system of man and it goes like this, "People know that I am a Christian, and when they are around me, they really want what I have." I can assure you David, that there is absolutely nothing in this American religious system of man, that I want or desire. However, when I read and meditate upon the Holy Word of God, then, and only then, is a faith that I truly long for and desire to follow, in spite of my sin and the sin that surrounds me.

I truly believe that if we asked Jesus Himself to preach and teach in our American churches, we would hate Him to the point of crucifying Him all over again.

I did not celebrate nor honor christmas this year and I was not convicted by God, the Holy Spirit, to repent of a sin not committed.

• Ann says:

Greetings Again David,

Is President Obama more sinful that say, President Bush? The facts surrounding many of the Republicans' worldviews may actually surprise and astound even you. Let us not bow down to the golden calf of politics, but instead bow down to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

11. David says:

I'm not mocking you when I say you're a legalist, just pointing out my opinion. And I would appreciate if you didn't try to include me in your hate speech rant because that's not what I'm doing at all. I don't know why you keep bringing up the American religious system, I guess you think I'm a part of it or something even though I've already explained that I'm not religious, I'm a Christian and that hasn't changed.

I did celebrate Christmas honoring the birth of Jesus Christ and most definitely wasn't convicted of committing a sin!

I'm not saying at all that Obama is more sinful than anybody, we're all sinners, that's not the point at all and the wrong question to ask actually. But at the same time there is no justification for his actions or lack thereof as President. And it really doesn't surprise me what politicians say and do in both parties but I'm not a democrat or a republican. Not sure if you're insinuating that I bow down to politics but I assure you I don't.

• Ann says:

Thank-You Tracey, this was very instructive and ponders so much thought, study, and prayer. Paul commends the Bereans in sharing the Gospel as they tested everything he taught, with the Scriptures. Paul did not become angry, nor manipulative or controlling because they chose to go to the Word of God and see if what Paul was saying was true. Anotherwords, we did not take their acts of testing as a personal attack or affront against him, he called them fair minded or noble. I consider this a great affirmation and encouragement as to how we as Christ followers are to act and react.as well. "Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men." Acts 17:10-12

Please allow me to quote a short story from a book written by a man that ponders some serious thought, "I rarely saw Benny without hearing some piece of profound wisdom suitable to a sage. This day was no exception. With that typical twinkle in his eye and that wry Tennessee grin on his face, he asked me, "Do you know how you can tell when something is an idol in your life?"
      "No." I waited for his reply. I knew it would be good. His grin widened. His words were slow but short.

"By how big a fight you put up when it's taken from you."

Many of the things we fight over are likely idols in our lives. We get angry when something we adore is taken from us or when we fear that it might be taken from us." Quoted from "(The Harlot Church System" by Charles Newbold, p.33.)

To all who have an eye to read, an ear to hear, a mind to understand, and a heart to live it, I will ask this of you, "If we, as brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ, were to be forced into a concentration camp today, would be depend on days, months, seasons, and years (Read Galations 4:8-20) to worship Jesus in spirit and in truth, or can we worship Him anytime of the day? Our gift is not one made with human hands, it was never intended to be; our gift is a free one, the "free gift from God, our Father (not our Daddy in heaven, not "the man upstairs, not our "Sugar Daddy" or any other name to bring our Father down to our pathetic, sinful level here on earth, but OUR FATHER, WHO ART IN HEAVEN, and we should address Him with worshipful revernce and awe.) is eternal life though Jesus Christ our LORD.

We spend so much time exposing the "truth" of people, politicis, various religions, but spent little time exposing the "truth" of Jesus' teaching in how we are called to live our lives. Please do not esteem me as self righteous as that is not my intent as I am a sinner like all of mankind; I am just tired of the relgious system proclaiming truth, when in effect they are practicing a lie.