How to hear God’s voice 100% of the time!

I found this article over at the Letter of Marque site, and it is a response to the popular experiential teachings by some who claim that we must all be in tune to hear God’s voice–His actual voice–speaking into our lives. I have seen many Christians, young people in particular, who have been tragically harmed by this teaching. They wonder why they cannot hear Him speak into their heads or hearts when they pray. “It’s like I’m talking to a brick wall!” one teen tearfully wailed to me a recently. I do not know where that young man is in his faith at this moment, but the teaching did damage that I can only hope has been or will be healed. I wish I could have shared this piece with him:

How to Hear God’s Voice 100% of the Time

Are you struggling to figure out if those whispers that your pastor has told you to listen for are really God’s voice or a case of gastrointestinal hallucinations caused by a bad batch of pepperoni pizza?

Are you tired of going through the whole rigamarole of filtering those voices in your head through a six point ‘discernment grid’ to try to ascertain if that’s the Holy Spirit speaking to you or proof that you need to make an appointment with a shrink?

Have you read and reread Blackaby and still haven’t got the foggiest notion as to how to tell where God is working in the world so that you can join Him?

If you’ve answered yes to one or all of these questions then I’ve got great news for you! I have discovered a simple and sure fire way for you to hear God’s voice. The best part is that its 100% guaranteed and totally Biblical.

Here it is.

1. Acquire a Bible.

If you do not have a Bible then you can read it for free on the internet at BibleGateway.org. I recommend the English Standard Version for both readability and translational accuracy.

2. Open the Bible.

3. Begin reading it.

Read it with your mind engaged. Pay close attention to grammar and context. Take notes. Set a goal to read 3 to 10 chapters per day.

That’s it.

If you do those three things then you will be hearing God’s voice every single time that you open the Bible. No guess work, no need for six point ‘discernment filters’ and no nagging uncertainty about whether your hearing God’s voice or something else.

How can I be so sure and certain that this works?

I’m glad you asked.

One day, while I was reading my Bible I read 2 Timothy 3:16–17. Here’s what it says:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” [emphasis added]

Let’s break this down.

1. This passage says ALL scripture is God breathed. That means that God, The Holy-Spirit, personally inspired every one of the Biblical authors. In other words, you can know with certainty that every word of scripture contains God’s thoughts and when you’re reading the Bible you’re hearing God’s voice.

2. This passage says that the man of God would be COMPLETE through the reading, learning, knowing and applying of scripture. Notice that this verse doesn’t say that the man of God would be incomplete through his reading of scripture and that he’d need to augment the scriptures through whispers, subjective feelings, internal voices, direct revelation, dreams or visions. NO! It literally says that the man of God would be COMPLETE. The Greek word that is used here is ἄρτιος and it means “complete and/or fully qualified”. There is nothing else needed for the man of God. The scriptures are totally sufficient.

3. If point two wasn’t clear enough, 2 Timothy 3:17 drives the point home by stating that through the written word of God the man of God is equipped for EVERY good work. There are no good works that God would have you do that would require you to rely on anything other than His word to make you complete and fully equipped for the task.

The Bible is sufficient to make you complete and fully equipped for every good work.

You don’t need whispers.

You don’t need dreams.

You don’t need visions.

You don’t need trances.

You don’t need a glory cloud.

You don’t need to figure out how to ‘experience God’.

You don’t need contemplative mysticism.

All you need is the written word of God. The Bible is sufficient to make you complete and fully equipped for every good work and because every word of scripture is God breathed, you can know with confidence that you’re hearing the voice of God.

You may be asking yourself if it could truly be that simple.

Yes, it really is that simple!

This entry was posted in Berean Examiner Blog, Best of! and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How to hear God’s voice 100% of the time!

1. David J. Conklin says:

If it was really that simple, then why is it that too many people who claim to be Christians lie through their teeth to you?

The problem is that far too many people who claim to be Christians aren't going to do all the work that is required in the exercise one has just been given. Far too many people who claim to believe in god, who believe that it is God's Word aren't going to read it because they are afraid of what they are going to find–it condemns their sinful practices and they don't want to give them up. Some won't do it because our educational system made learning boring. Others won't do the exercise because they are literally too lazy–I've met people who won't even spend 5 minutes on one point, even when they are told exactly what to do.

We have to be mindful that not all who claim to be God's children are in fact His.

The author of this article is discounting the Necessity of being born again.

The carnal mind cannot discern spiritual things. The carnal mind focuses on the itself, everything is about themselves, if it is against themselves they discard it. This is why we have such a problem in the so called churches of the west. The pulpits, they are filled with men with unregenerated minds.

John 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

John 5
    37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent , him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41 I receive not honour from men. 42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

1 Corinthains 2:
    1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified . 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought : 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew : for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned . 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

• Bob says:

An excellent point about needing to be born again, Mr. Davis. It's impossible to understand the Bible without God's Spirit living inside of you.

A disagreement of mine would reading 3-10 chapters per day. There are times I guess this would be ok. However there are other times I would prefer to read one chapter daily & really gets some meat out of it than to read several & get very little, if any.

• Mr Davis says:

Bob I would even add another caution, it seems to me when we make things a habit like a ritual or tradition it can loose something. At which point it becomes religious and not communion, nor worship, but something we do for God instead of because of God.

Why do we read His word? Is it because thats what we are supposed to do or is it because It's the very Word of The Living God, the One who Created All things and established all things for His Glory and we want to know that God.

There is a difference and like you say it may simply be a verse or two that God is working in you to obey.

For the religious none of it sinks into His soul and takes root in his heart. He is checking a box so he can declair his own righteousness.

• Amy Spreeman says:

The author knows full well the necessity of being born again, and of repentance. He was writing to those who are already Christians who are being bamboozled by the mysticism running rampant in the Church.

3. Larry says:

We are in big trouble in the church. Deceivers and self-deceived going from bad to worse. Although I like the advice about reading the Bible, the Bible itself says the Holy Spirit is our guide, a paraclete, and our comforter. The Bible is a pillar of discipleship, but I am afraid that the advice this article gives is not complete, the Spirit works through dreams and visions, and He never contradicts God's word. In many churches I find that the enemy works false vessels in under the radar. It behooves the elders to be men of great courage to be willing to love boldly and rebuke with authority so that the sheep are kept safe from the wolves.

There are many no boldly entering our churches with the spirit of Christian witchcraft, these little foxes that nip at the vines, impishly giggle as they sit in plain site, posing as spiritual, they are carnal, and the harm they do is in proving that we refuse to see and act, to take authority over the work of demons, to destroy the work of Satan through God given power in the Name of Jesus.

• David J. Conklin says:

>the Spirit works through dreams and visions

Sometimes not even at that "high" of a level. I've done a lot of in-depth study over the years and sometimes something will just pop into my head and I realize that was God speaking, not me. For instance, I had to write 15 page paper on the theology of one OT book. I picked Jonah. One of the sources I was reading (my bibliography was 15 pages long) said that "There are no heroes in the book of Jonah." Immediately and without thinking about it (that was my two clues right there) I said out loud: "Yes there is, God!"

I know we don't trust this from 1 John 2

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. 29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

This same anointing filled our Savior
    Isaiah 11

1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: 2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; 3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD:

and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: 4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. 5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins

Without the Holy Spirit we do not do good with God's Holy word but evil, this is apparent by the fruit of the western church. You want to see what the fruit of the Spirit looks like look to where the church is laying down thier lives for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, who want their last breath to proclaim Jesus Christ and him Crucified, who love those who are seeking to kill them, no longer living for this world but for the one to come. Truely Truley these are those seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness counting everything else as rubbish, just dung. But that isn't the fruit we see in the west where the word is twisted and comfort in this world is exalted.

2 Peter 3

14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever . Amen.

Church heed this warning.