US Congressman advocates Mindful Meditation as solution to global conflict

Congressman Tim Ryan, D-Ohio

Mindfulness meditation was once thought of as an Eastern mystical practice. But now it’s transforming the minds of even the most conservative Christians in America.  One United States congressman’s solution to the chaos of the world’s  economic, social, and political turmoil is a practice known as “mindful meditation,” a slippery slope that is being sold to Christians as a benefit not only for our over-scheduled souls, but as a solution for our healthcare system, schools, the military, the economy, and ultimately our human health.

In his new book A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance and Recapture the American Spirit, Democratic Representative Tim Ryan of Ohio’s 17th District advocates mindful meditation, which he has long suggested could fix chronic stress and illness. Ryan’s claim is that when extended into the healthcare paradigm, mindful meditation has the potential to greatly reduce the overall cost burdens associated with healthcare.

He says his ultimate goal is to spread the word about mindfulness to everyone, a gradual process already taking place that he has dubbed a “quiet revolution.”

The practices he recommends are drawn from Buddhism.  Ryan is Catholic. He says mindfulness aligns with America’s no-nonsense values like “self-reliance, stick-to-itiveness, perseverance and getting the job done.”

His research interviews with scientists who have tested mindfulness on hospital patients, schoolchildren and even the US marines shows how prevalent mindfulness already has become in our nation.

New Age expert Marcia Montenegro of Christian Answers For the New Age (CANA), has written many articles about Mindfulness and how it has infiltrated public school classrooms, hospitals and clinics, and other  In her article, Mindfulness: No-Mind Over Matter, Marcia writes:

Mindfulness is a Buddhist concept and practice, the seventh step of the Eightfold Path. Mindfulness is more than a meditative practice; it is an outlook on life and reality that ideally results from a type of meditation designed to cultivate detachment. Detachment in Buddhism is necessary, because Buddhism teaches that attachment to this world, to your thinking, to your identity as an individual self, and other attachments, such as desires, keep you in the cycle of rebirth.

Buddhism holds that the self does not exist, and identification with the self keeps you in that cycle of rebirth. Therefore, to achieve liberation from this cycle, one must break the attachment, so detachment is necessary. Mindfulness is the method, and detachment with ultimate liberation is its goal. Mindfulness is often defined as a moment-by-moment nonjudgmental awareness of the present. For many years, this writer attempted to incorporate mindfulness into her life prior to becoming a Christian.

Though thoroughly Buddhist, mindfulness has been heavily promoted to the secular world by Jon Kabat-Zinn (b. 1944), a Zen Buddhist, whose book, Wherever You Go, There You Are, brought him into the public eye; and by Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926), a Zen Buddhist from Vietnam whose books have enjoyed great success in the West. Both lecture around the United States.

Ryan’s book has a forward by Jon Kabat-Zinn who is the author of Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment–and Your Life

Those in the medical and natural healing professions often say that when applied in clinical situations, mindful meditation has been shown to produce positive results, whether it involves helping a person to focus on the present rather than dwell on the past, or alleviating past pains and patterns of destructive behavior and emotions through hypnotherapy. Says NaturalNews.Com, “Rep. Ryan’s ultimate goal is to spread the word about mindfulness to everyone, a gradual process already taking place that he has dubbed a “quiet revolution.” In his belief, the practice of mindful meditation has far less to do with practicing any sort of religion than it does simply gaining hold of one’s life, and stopping the multitude of destructive environmental, social, and situational inputs from taking hold and destroying it.”

This entry was posted in Berean Examiner Blog, new age and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to US Congressman advocates Mindful Meditation as solution to global conflict

1. David J. Conklin says:

>"He says mindfulness aligns with America's no-nonsense values like "self-reliance, stick-to-itiveness, perseverance and getting the job done.""

In theology that's called salvation by works.

2. Marcia says:

Amy, thanks for quoting from my article! I saw this in the Washington Post about a month ago and wrote a Note on it. I am seeing so much of this Mindfulness these days – it seems to be exploding all over the place!

I hope a lot of people read this and wake up to the fact that Mindfulness is the next big spiritual trend in our culture to be presented as a self-help technique.

3. Dave Mosher says:

Amy, Mike, Marcia, etc.: you might be interested in a series I've written on mindfulness in public schools (two blogs so far). Links to both blogs are listed at the top of this blog: http://davemosher.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/who-is

In the Tim Ryan blog, I shared what I've found so far regarding Tim Ryan's New Age past – similar to the research I did for my blog series on Roma Downey.

God bless you all – surely mindfulness is a critical issue, part of the New Age epidemic that every Christian needs to be made aware of.

• Hi, Dave,
      Thanks for the links! It's an uphill battle informing Christians of this danger and relaying the serious nature of this growing trend of Mindfulness. Thanks for your efforts. Very few Christians know about MIndfulness.

4. @mythreya says:

I am a Buddhist. I have practically experienced many positive changes in my mental attitude with the practice of mindfulness.I hope everyone practice this wonderful and simple meditation

• rosinavoz says:

That may be, but these practices will lead you to the eternal damnation of your soul. Satan is the author of your 'positive changes', not the Holy Spirit of the one true God. Satan comes appearing as an angel of light and many are being deceived because they seek 'positive changes' apart from what the Word of God teaches. We are sinners in need of a Savior. There can be no real positive change in any person until God meets us at our greatest point of need… the need to be cleansed of our sins, forgiven, set free from the power of sin in our lives, and filled with His Holy Spirit. Then, and only then will there be lasting change and change of eternal value in the world to come.
      Rose

5. Marie says:

Amen, Rose. Spot on.
    Equating "mindfulness" with actual "mindlessness." I was a part of the lying signs and wonders movement for many years and from personal experiences galore, this mindfulness leads to legions of demonic influences which we know are not from God, the Holy Spirit. I too, thought I experienced positive changes in my whole demeanor with the meditations, being "slain in a spirit", hearing "audible voices from a god", seeing "bright colored lights" and feeling total euphoria within my being (soul)……I relied on the influences of those who practice and promote things false teachings for my source of truth without testing any of this belief system against the very Word of God. I relied on a pastor who practiced this (he was a product of the Toronto Blessing, ie.. blasphemy crowd) for my truth, without testing his words and the individuals he promoted from the pulpit system (who also belonged to the lying signs and wonders circuit), and I truly believed I was on the "right path to knowing God through all of these people and experiences."
    My journey lead to spiritual elitism, believing I knew God the Holy Spirit better than anyone else. These are the final manifestations/fruits of what we call the new age, but in essence is "age old" movement….the pride, the selfishness, the lording over other people, the "I am" syndrome so to speak……leading to the belief that "I am god, with the divine nature of god in me."
    This all speaks of Lucifer….placing ourselves in the god position. I have been there, done that, followed and worshipped the people involved with these practices and manifestations, until one day…….I hit rock bottom and was completely devastated and broken. I was hurt by the whole system for the light I thought was in me was complete darkness.
    Jesus is the only One who saves. His teachings are the only teachings we need to follow. And God, the Holy Spirit is still moving and doing His work in people today leading us to everlasting and eternal salvation through Christ alone. Alleluia and Amen.!!!

6. Marie says:

Amen, Rose. Spot on.

7. John Smith says:

Love that you put the endorsements/comments from Jim Wallis and Wayne Dyer up. Dyer should not surprise us since he is a New Ager. Jim Wallis, friend of Emergent Brian McLaren, is no surprise, either, but maybe it will be revealing to some people. http://www.lgnetworksinc.com