Fear not?

What does it mean to have the fear of God? In Hebrew, the word for fear is pachad which means terror or dread. Many Christians today redefine fear as having a “healthy respect” for God most high. Could it be both? Our guest today, Dave Wager says, yes!  So what does it truly mean to have a fear of the lord? What fears about your faith do you have? What about the fear of losing your salvation? Dave Wager is the author of several books and the  president of Silver Birch Ranch and Nicolet Bible College in northern Wisconsin. Dave is also the president of a ministry called The Omega Force, a catalyst that helps Christians learn the Word of God through college-level courses that anyone can take online.

Subscribe (RSS | iTunes) We are 100% Listener supported. Donate now!

Related articles

This entry was posted in 2010 - 2015 Archives, Best of!, Podcast and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Fear not?

Our sins testify of us whether the fear and dread of God is upon us.

Psalm 36
    1 The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes. 2 For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful . 3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise , and to do good . 4 He deviseth mischief upon his bed; he setteth himself in a way that is not good; he abhorreth not evil.

Fear of the Lord comes with the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 11
    2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: 4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth:

Also with the Holy Spirit comes our motive for walking in Holiness in the first Place: Love for the Father, Love for the Son and the sacrifice of Himself for us and a desire to follow after Him to bring Glory to His Name.

2. Larry says:

It would be very foolish not to be terrified of God, the terror of Isaac, but then what tremendous reverence arises when we experience forgiveness and know we have eternal life?

As for railing against the enemy, that has nothing to do with commanding demons. John MacArthur seems sometimes to live in something akin to a supernatural vacuum. He has impeccable doctrine in some areas and completely denies the power of God and the commission of the church in others. Demons both know you, if you are a real believer, and fear the power God has in your life. But it is always wise not to talk to them unless you are commanding them to leave. What did Jesus say, 'In My Name they will cast out demons.' Shall we revisit the issue of what it means to do something in the Name of Jesus? BTW 'lust' is not the name of a demon. Demons do lust and tempt us to lust and lust through those they more deeply control, but they have one name now, whatever their former names were and that is 'adversary.'

The demons were all well aware of who Jesus was. They also knew Paul. They know you and I. We however have a grace given to us that Michael would not enjoy. We can sin and not end up cast down for eternity. We can struggle with the rage of well meaning people who would end all evil and suffering on this earth right now. We can stumble into cursing the devil and, though it is a sin to allow frustration to rule our hearts, we can still find forgiveness if we repent. Angels long to look into the things that accompany salvation, and I am sure that the lifetime of grace shown to all humans is something that amazes the faithful and infuriates the fallen. Why was David allowed to live after the horrible things he had done? Why was he allowed to be King in Israel?

Blessed is the man whose sins are forgiven, whose transgressions the Lord does not take into account. Psalm 32

But for the demons there is no hope of forgiveness, they are the ultimate dead-enders with nothing to lose and nothing to gain. James says the demons tremble, as well they should. But we no longer have an expectation of wrath but of life, a sure hope awaiting only our perseverance to the end to see its complete satisfaction. And if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts and knows all things. He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. So lets give ourselves over completely to that end no matter the cost. If all of our pretense to religion vaporizes in the fire of the battle we gain perspective on many things. Get back up, keep going, don't give up, and above all else rely upon His grace.

God bless.

3. jane says:

Dave ~ I just had to comment on this podcast. I have never commented before but this has truely opened my eyes. This is something I desperately needed to hear. I am actually nervous about putting this comment out here for everyone to read.

I first want to say I know I am truely saved by the grace of God and I know he lives inside of me. I do/DID live the serious struggle with the "I" issue that you talked about. It was very hard to hear it while you were talking because I knew you were talking to me.

I, like many other people I am sure have lived a life with an Earthly father's rejection & abandonment in childhood. Since then, there have been many relationships in my life where men have also rejected and then "replaced" me.

I guess in the back of my mind….the truth of knowing that I could someday or somehow eventually fail God and that he would reject me anyways always haunted me. Though I know in my heart that the Grace of God has saved me….when I just can't seem to get it right on same days…I tend to fall back into the "legalistic" views I was taught growing up. That has always stayed in the back of my mind all throughout my rebellous life along with the fact of not having a dad to teach, love and guide me. I know that is why I ran from God all throughout my life…..I couldn't be good enough for him…I'm sorry God…I'm not perfect enough for you….I keep failing you so I give up. That was my mindset. I, I, I.

I believe Christians who have Godly parents and who had positive upbringings "get" the Christain walk so much easier than those who have had dysfunctional pasts…& unfortunately dysfunction is much more popular now-a-days. They receive love. They don't feel they have to "earn" it. My dysfunctional past seemed to "put" the Christian relationship on my back (like I could carry it). As I walk with Christ who is Holy…I saw my sin as constant failure again and again and over again…

Praise God This truth has freed me! I downloaded this podcast onto my MP3 player so I can continue to hear it and receive truth until it STICKS inside my brain. Thank God it is not about ME…Christ carries this relationship…not me…I just need to love him and accept him.

Thank God that there is nothing I can ever do that will make my God reject and replace me like man does….I am his forever and ever…and I will one day bow before him…giving him honor and praise for saving a wretched sinner like me. My soul is SECURE in him!

I feel so free in him today!

• Dave Wager says:

Indeed! When you understand the truth it sets you free. When it is about God, you are set free. When your significance and security are gifts from God and not your own works…you are free. The truth sets you free. Indeed.

May God bless you Jane. He has blessed you and may He continue to do so. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. Reading your words were an encouragement to me. Truely Truely it is Christ Jesus who is able to make us to stand or fall.

2 Timothy 2
    11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Romans 14
    4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth . Yea, he shall be holden up : for God is able to make him stand .

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live , we live unto the Lord; and whether we die , we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die , we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ both died , and rose , and revived , that he might be Lord both of the dead and living .

There is no room for self righteousness for who can say I have made my own heart clean.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written , As I live , saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

May God who is able to make you to stand, hold you fast to His Glorious word that you may take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ who for His love of the Father, the joy set before Him, laid aside His own will and died for our sins on the Cross of Calvary, to the Great Glory of God! May this mind which is in Christ abide in you and all of those Named of God unto redemption.

5. marissa says:

I have a few questions: Why would God make a big deal only at the beginning of Him pouring out His spirit as in Acts? When Dave said we pretend we're the church back in Acts what does that mean? If Jesus, Himself, said (Mark 16:17) And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;…and that's what they did, why would He only "come down" once in Acts and never again? On the show you all were saying those who believe are saved, but those who believe shall also experience those signs which Jesus stated. That sounds like the church back in Acts. God doesn't change, and if we are the body of Christ, then His church probably won't change either, it would seem.
    Also, what about the verse (Matthew 18:20) "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst" in regards to the improbability that God would come down since He already dwells in us?