Kirk Cameron answers critics

Last night author Anne Rice’s homosexual son Chris Rice appeared on NBC’s Insider and attacked the views of Kirk Cameron, who was recently asked in an interview to share his thoughts about homosexuality, gay marriage and abortion. He has also recently come under fire for appearing with Glenn Beck to promote his movie, Monumental. Today Kirk shared his thoughts about being true to his beliefs and to Christ. (We are hoping to interview Kirk Cameron soon about his movie, and to ask him how he has handled the immense scrutiny from both the secular world as well as Christians on his stance.)  Here’s what Kirk had to say:

Kirk Cameron

I recently was asked to join Piers Morgan on CNN for an interview about my new film “Monumental.” During that discussion, I was asked to express my views about homosexuality, gay marriage, and abortion. While that was not the agreed-upon purpose of the interview, I was pleased to answer Piers’ questions as honestly as I could.

In some people’s eyes, my responses were not sufficiently “loving” toward those in the gay community. I can only say that it is my life’s mission to love all people, and that I expressed the same views that are expressed clearly and emphatically throughout the Judeo-Christian scriptures. As a Bible believing Christian, I could not have answered any other way.

I’ve been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally) in the wake of condemnation by some political advocacy groups. In the case of one of my gay friends, we regularly talk and have healthy and respectful debate. We learn from each other, and serve others alongside one another. I thank God for all of my friends…even when they hold very different views on issues of faith and morality. I do not, however, believe that the right way to advance our views is to resort to name-calling and personal attacks, as some have done to me.

I also believe that freedom of speech and freedom of religion go hand-in-hand in America. I should be able to express moral views on social issues–especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years–without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach “tolerance” that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square.

I hope more than a few people could see the large volume of secularist morality being imposed on me. In any society that is governed by the rule of law, some form of morality is always imposed. It’s inescapable. But it is also a complicated subject, and that is why I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect.

To the thousands of you who have written me letters of encouragement… thank you! And to those who would like know how to further your support, please gather your friends and family, and join me as I seek to show you our true “National Treasure,” at the live, nationwide viewing of “Monumental” on Tuesday, March 27th (www.MonumentalMovie.com).

Sincerely,
Kirk

This entry was posted in Berean Examiner Blog, In the News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Kirk Cameron answers critics

1. suzzi says:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

2. Two thumbs up for Kirk Cameron for having the courage to step into an arena filled with anti-Christian eager to call in the lions. Your interview with Piers was a lovely affirmation of your faith and your statement above is spot on. My husband and I are praying for you and your family.

• Dave Holden says:

Why do you have to be anti Christian to believe in gay rights? The bible is full of errors, and contradiction as any human telling of a story passed down through time and differing language is bound to be. These people were born to be who they are, and I cannot believe the God I know would discriminate, be judgemental and hateful towards them, but would welcome them with love. God would want them to be happy, feel they belong, not labeled as some mistake of nature.

• Amy Spreeman says:

That is your opinion. I have opinions too, but have learned to leave those aside as I explore what the Word of God says. What we do here is not try to shape God into our own version of what is "fair," but what is right in His eyes.

Dave, you would love the show we did last week with Ruth Christian, who lived the lesbian lifestyle for many years. It was the living truth of the scriptures that helped her see a righteous and Holy God. As Ruth said, we are all born into sin, but Jesus never ever allowed us to stay that way. He asks us to follow Him. And when the Holy Spirit transforms the life of the believer, that person is not who he or she was born to be but a new creation.

Here is the link: http://standupforthetruth.com/2012/02/homosexuali

• Holly Sprenger Garci says:

Amy – I think what many may miss unfortunately is how important God's Word is and not to be trifled with, added to, or taken away from, or discarded, or even a lack of trembling in handling what His Word says…

But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to declare My statutes, Or take My covenant in your mouth,
        Seeing you hate instruction And cast My words behind you? Ps 50:16-17

For all those things My hand has made,
        And all those things exist,”
        Says the Lord.
        “But on this one will I look:
        On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,
        And who trembles at My word. Is 66:2

3. Dave – How do you know God? If you do not believe His Word is pure like He says it is, and that He will preserve it, (Ps 12:6-7) as He has, then you are calling God a liar. (Let God be true and every man a liar), and if you add to His Word, He says this, "Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar." Proverbs 30:6

So, how do you know God, if you do believe His Word to be true? God absolutely is the Judge of the universe, you might want to read Romans 1, because He will do right. He will judge, and if you do not believe His Word, as the Word of God, as the truth, which it is, then you do not have His Word (Jesus) living in you. I Thess 2:13, and you will also see His judgment. He will judge you on that last day BY His Word, which you call errant…

He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day. John 12:48

I pray you really seek Him, or you will be believing a lie.

4. Tony says:

Kudos…Kirk for being a loving Christian and not a selective one. I agree with your statement and keep up with Gods work. I will pray for you for God to Give you Strength went you need it, Love to show them you have a good heart, (God knows what we have in our hearts) Grace to forgive them for there attack upon you for speaking your heart. God Bless you and your family. God be with you each and eveyday.

5. Rose Vosburgh says:

I appauld Kirk for his bold stance on the Piers Morgan show and I have been tremendously blessed by his ministry with Ray Comfort at Living Waters. It is a blessing to see how faithful he is in sharing his faith with others. I am concerned, however, about his new film, Monumental. The monument in question was funded and erected by Freemasons,not Christians, and does contain much occultic symbolism.

I do appreciate that Kirk is grieved by what he sees happening in our country. I am grieved as well. But the Lord is coming back very soon and what is happening here and around the world is just exactly what the Book of Revelation predicted would happen before Christ's return. So what is our greatest responsibility as Christian as we see the Day approaching…trying to 'take back America' and retain our freedoms and pleasant way of life?…or spreading the gospel message to as many people as possible? I think America is dying and we are coming under God's judgment. Instead of wasting our energies trying to save our free way of life as Americans, we need to be more focused on winning the lost and being prepared for coming persecution. (Yes, we should still vote and be involved, acting responsibly as citizens. But we should not pin our hopes on changing the culture, but on the return of Christ.)

Brannon Howse has very lovingly tried to confront the problems with this movie and the use of the monument as a rallying place for Christians. You can read his commentary here: http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-times/a….

There is also a link on that page to three radio programs Brannon did with Christian Pinto and Ed Decker discussing this monument and laying out the true historical facts of its origin and purpose…which was not Christian in any way. I truly love Kirk. He is a wonderful Christian man in every way. But I feel he is misguided in this endeavor and I cringed to see him on Glen Beck's program promoting his movie. I am concerned about the spread of dominionism as it seems to be reaching into all segments of Christianity these days. Is our purpose to make the world better…clean it up… so Christ can return? The Bible says things WILL get worse not better and Christ will come at the time appointed by His Father. He didn't give us a mission to redeem the culture, but to share the gospel. That is what our main focus should be today. And Kirk does such a great job of sharing the gospel. It is disheartening to see him go off in this direction.

6. donna smith says:

Thanks Kirk for your calm and respectful response to those who believe differently than you. The Bible is clear on those issues and as Christians your responses were both Godly and faith affirming. I look forward to your new movie.

7. Rose Vosburgh says:

I noticed that my comment is still awaiting moderation while other comments have been approved. I tried very hard to make my comment loving. In no way was I trying to attack Kirk. He is someone I have tremendous regard for and I know his heart is in the right place. But, after listening to all three of Brannon's radio presentations, I do have great concern about Kirk's movie and about the spread of dominionistic ideas in the church which distracts us from our main mission..salvation of souls. I have found Brannon Howse to be a very good researcher on these issues. He is thorough and he always presents the facts with love for all concerned. He is not trying to be devisive, but trying humbly and lovingly to warn the body of Christ. Satan is working overtime trying to distract the true church from its mission in these Last Days since he knows his time is short. I hope you will take time to research this issue from all sides before you have Kirk as a guest on your program. Another person who has spoken out on this issue is Jackie Alnor of Rapture Radio. She covered the topic on her last program which can be heard here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rapturereadyradio/20

Thank you for considering my comments.

• Amy Spreeman says:

Hi Rose, thanks for commenting. Sometimes comments go into the moderation queue for different reasons, and I see you have a website link so that is probably what triggered it. I just haven't had time in the past couple of days to go through these, so thanks for your patience.

I have seen Jackie's report, and I agree that it's very important to consider all research done by discernment ministries. Thanks for the link.